Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Seoul National University?

suzy96suzy96 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2013 in International Students
I'm planning to apply for the fall semester next year in SNU as an international student (I am not Korean at all) and try to avail a scholarship. I'm currently a second year Communications major but stopped studying for the second semester due to financial problems. My problem is that I was slacking off and am probably a C or C- student during my three semesters in college (although I was part of a performing arts group during my first year). I have a good background in high school though (B+ student, part of the top 15% in class standing, joined tons of extra-curricular activities etc).

I haven't taken TOPIK or IELT yet. I know basic Korean (have taught myself the language little by little since 2009) like I can read and write the characters and yeah. I think I'm pretty alright with speaking and writing in English although it isn't my mother tongue (I'm a Filipino).

Do you think I have a shot in getting admitted to SNU? I've read from somewhere it's kind of easy for international students to be granted admission by SNU like there's also a C student who got admitted but I'm still kind of worried. I hope to get a response. Thank you. ><
Post edited by suzy96 on

Replies to: Seoul National University?

• highland_poppyhighland_poppy Posts: 497Registered User Member
    Admission by grades isn't your major difficulty. Your lack of Korean skills- you haven't mentioned anything about listening or speaking wouldn't get you in. And funding.

However, contact the South Korean Embassy in the Philippines for information on the Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP). It would fund a year's language study and then your 4 year degree (if you passed the needed level of Korean language).

I have no ideas about the level of competition for this but it's worth a try. Good luck!