Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

To all international students asking for huge amounts of aid

Replies to: To all international students asking for huge amounts of aid

• Ghfdw17Ghfdw17 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    U of Alabama, including BHM,main in Tuscaloosa, Huntsville.(easiest one probably)
    At least need 3.5 GPA, ACT 32+ OR SAT Math+Cr 1400+

Howard University(too long to write)
    http://www.howard.edu/financialaid/grants_scholarships.htm

LSU merit scholarship
    -http://sites01.lsu.edu/wp/financialaid/entering-freshman-scholarships/
    LSU used to have automatic scholarships but they recently changed it, I think.

Fordham University
    http://www.fordham.edu/info/21251/fordham_scholarships_and_grants/2532/scholarships

Washington and Lee
    -Johnson Scholarship, requires additional essay. SUPER Competitive and full ride

UNC Chapel Hill
    -Robertson Scholarship

Clark University
    -LEEP(full ride) scholarship

Lewis and Clark Unviersity
    -Barbara Hirschi full ride scholarship(super competitive)

University of Richmond
    http://financialaid.richmond.edu/prospective/merit-based/scholarships.html

Please note that many merit scholarships are due about a month earlier than admission app due date.

Will post if I find others too.
  • nafayazharnafayazhar Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    By Colorado,do you mean the Colorado state university?
    This list is really useful .....thanks.
  • BldrDadBldrDad Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    edited March 2015
    It's Colorado College that was included in the initial list at the top of this thread. CU-Boulder and CSU will give little aid to internationals.
  • zuimeideyuncaizuimeideyuncai Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you soooooo much. That's what I've been looking for.
  • sig611sig611 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Does this apply for international transfer students as well?
  • Dawn001Dawn001 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    edited September 2015
    I want to know how much is left for students to pay. I think this is more important than the aid itself. For example a university that give 50k and the student have to pay 5k is a better option than a univesty that give 65k and require the student to pay 15k.
  • International95International95 Registered User Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    Um, I do think that the generous LACs that promise to meet need tend towards the same cost of attendance. I'm positive that student X would have to pay the same +/- 2k at generous LAC A and B.
  • Dawn001Dawn001 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    Sorry bu I don't know what is LAC A and B ? Can you explain more?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,083 Senior Member
    LAC = Liberal Arts College (National/Selective).Academically intense universities dedicated to undergraduate learning and student research.
    A and B = examples. if you got into College A and College B, you could well receive similar amounts. (that's what International95 says, but this isn't exactly true since it depends on College A's and B's resources and how you stand wrt the general applicant pool).
  • TripleKillTripleKill Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    edited September 2015
    Why are all the colleges that give international students aid are either at the bottom of the university rankings, with laughable requirements (most of what are in this list) or either extremely selective Ivies that grant financial aid to applicants almost unconditionally. I don't get why there isn't a good college (say in top 100 but not in top 20) that gives international students aid, or at least doesn't double the whole friggin tuition for int. students..
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    @TripleKill I don't know where you are from, but top 100 is NOT a laughable colleges.
    There are 630 four year public universities and 1,845 4 yr private universities. So there are about 2500 colleges in the US, and top 100 is like top 4%. What do you want?
  • TripleKillTripleKill Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    edited September 2015
    @paul2752 I am not saying that the top 100 are laughable. I am saying that almost none of the even slightly accredited colleges out there (ranking anything from say #20 to #120) offer aids for internationals. I'm also saying that to get aid you have to go very low even lower than #200 (most of the colleges listed here) to get financial aid as an international. Its either that, or you somehow manage to get in the top #20 elite schools that do offer financial aid for internationals (Harvard, Yale etc..)
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,116 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    "I am saying that almost none of the even slightly accredited colleges out there (ranking anything from say #20 to #120) offer aids for internationals. "

You're wrong. Except for public universities, almost ALL schools you noted offer FA to international students. Now, if you're referring to FULL RIDES to MANY international students, that's another matter.
This discussion has been closed.