Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

To all international students asking for huge amounts of aid

Ghfdw17Ghfdw17 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
edited October 2014 in International Students
I have noticed there are lots of internationals asking for colleges that give aid to international students. So, I compiled a list of the most generous colleges based on research and from the common data set in case someone may actually benefit from this.

Post edited by texaspg on

Replies to: To all international students asking for huge amounts of aid

• Ghfdw17Ghfdw17 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Colleges that give more than $35000 dollars to 40-59% of International students:

Colgate 49126
    Skidmore 53600
    Vassar 47509
    Carleton 34708
    Davidson 39217
    University of Richmond 45527
    Gettysburg 44892
    Bowdoin 43421
    Union 34264
  • moneypmoneyp Registered User Posts: 735 Member
    ds goes to colgate and they gave good aid for him.
  • lostintlostint Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Thanks for posting this! I just have one concern: isn't it biased towards colleges that grant a lot of aid to a small number of students? I feel like this info would be a lot more useful if the number of international students or at least the % of international students in the student body was included. That said, I certainly found it useful.
    edited October 2014
    @losint I tried doing that but it came out really messed up. But now that you mentioned it I think it really is necessary, i'll put the numbers now.
  • lostintlostint Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Wow, thank you! This must have been very difficult to compile. IMO this kind of info should be stickied.

And just to confirm, the additional numbers are (int students receiving 35k+) / (total # of int students), right? Once again, thank you for taking the time to make this list.
  • smilyowlsmilyowl Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Thanks for the list. I just needed it.
    edited October 2014
    @Lostint The additional numbers are (number of internationals receiving aid)/(total international students).
    Basically ever single college on this list gives more than $35000 as aid. Some are more generous than others, like these:

Bates 52427
    Colby 50080
    Connecticut 49126
    Hamilton 49565
    Trinity 51003
    Williams 54671
    Washington and Lee 49860
    Colgate 49126
    Skidmore 53600
    Vassar 47509

As you can tell: the average aid at these colleges is the highest, bordering $50,000. So the maximum you would be expected to pay is around $10,000. Some students even get in with 100% of the costs paid. But of course all the other colleges on this list promise to meet your full need.
    @smilyowl Glad to be of service :)
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    As you can tell: the average aid at these colleges is the highest, bordering $50,000. So the maximum you would be expected to pay is around $10,000.
    Not exactly. It means that the international aid recipients pay an average of around $10,000, but the maximum would be much higher - probably around the full cost of attendance.
    @b@r!um Let me rephrase that. The average amount paid for those RECEIVING aid is $10000. Most internationals (60% in the first and 40-59% in the second table) who have received aid were expected to pay only that amount maybe less or more by a few. Those who pay full attendance are not in the numbers up there.
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    who have received aid were expected to pay only that amount maybe less or more by a few.
    That's where you are wrong. At my undergraduate college, there were international aid recipients who contributed $0 and international aid recipients who contributed $40,000 a year. The average won't tell you about the minimum or maximum. I don't know why you think it would.
    Actually you are right, but I believe the average is a better indicator than the maximum or a minimum. And in the end it all depends on the need.
This discussion has been closed.