Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Ib predicted scores and gpa - needs guidance/help/tips

2»

Replies to: Ib predicted scores and gpa - needs guidance/help/tips

• b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,121 Senior Member
    The OP's parents may have good reason to make their college budget conditional on the university or major.

In many countries, employment prospects would be better with an engineering degree from Berkeley than with a physics degree from Amherst or an engineering degree from San Jose State. Why should that consideration not factor into the calculation of how much money you are willing to invest into college tuition?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,759 Senior Member
    You're absolutely right about world wide reputation (although LACs are starting to get known in China and I'm betting India won't be far behind, so worldwide reputation is likely to change a bit). Overall, and in. Europe especially, people only know programs with graduate reputation.
    However Op's parents attended top grad schools and probably can't fathom the idea of their kid stopping at the bachelor's level. And it's hard to beat LACs, in most subjects, when it comes to grad school admission. Honors colleges are other venues to explore. Finally, undergrad education has other requirements than graduate education, and one could argue that, if you pay, it should be for something that cannot be found in Europe or for cheaper elsewhere.
    (I think you'd admit learning conditions and teaching quality at Bryn Mawr was better than at Stanford, even if the former has little recognition in Europe.)
    So, if stopping at the bachelor's level, a brand name matters, but for students aiming at grad degrees what matters is grad school recognition.
    Any update?
  • petitpois5petitpois5 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Sorry for the late update i was travelling! Well if anyone knows any good schools that give good scholarhsip to int students I'd be very thankful for the advice. I had a lot of time to think and talk to my parents and they now decided that even the evst schools are too expensive. I would be very open for any school recommendations preferably in Oregan, CA or even Ohio or smtg I don't have big preferances :-) i have also been looking a lot a McGill and I adore this school and heard from a friend of mine who is there, that I would get admitted automatically because of my high predicted score. My only problem is that I don't have to sciences, which drastically decreases the amount of majors I could chose from :)
    edited July 25
    What do you mean "even the evst schools"? "stmg"? " I don't have to science "?
    Are you saying you'd need a full ride?
    Or that your parents can't pay full cost?
  • petitpois5petitpois5 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    sorry i was quite in a hurry!
    evst : best
    stmg: something
    to : two

They can pay full cost but they don't want to and no no no I would not need a full ride, just a little aid so that my parents agree to pay my tuition. :)
    @petitpois:
    It's much easier if your parents can afford 25-35K a year (it'd mean earning a 25-40K scholarship).
    The difficulty will be to have a good list, with safeties, honors colleges at flagships, LACs, etc, and not just the same 30 schools all Europeans apply to (often because they're known for their doctoral programs and research output, which have nothing to do with undergraduate experience). In short, don't rest on reputation and what people around you know - I've helped a lot of kids and I can tell you, , the hard part will be making a reasonably tiered list.
    Have you received your Fiske Guide 2018 yet?
2»