Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

TOEFL for international students

hxyaleehxyalee Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
Are TOEFL scores crucial for college admissions?

Replies to: TOEFL for international students

• b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,089 Senior Member
    Yes. TOEFL scores are crucial if you want to enroll in a degree program. You cannot be accepted or issued visa documents until you establish satisfactory language proficiency.

TOEFL scores are less important if you are trying to enroll in an ESL program.

• 41ADAN41ADAN Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Would a First Certificate in English form Cambridge English do? I did it last year and scored so high that I got the C1 level (second highest level in the CEFR) which according to the Cambridge website is equal to a 7-8 score in the IELTS. I also have a 760 in the reading and writing section of SAT.

The TOEFL seems redundant, and money doesn't grow on trees.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,379 Senior Member
    Contact each college you're interested in and ask if the Cambridge First Certificate - SAT English 760 is sufficient to show your English proficiency or if they need another test. There's no one size fits all answer, it's up to eaxh college.
    I'd the TOEFL is too expensive, cross out colleges that say that want it on top of your Cambridge First Certificate and SAT English score.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Most of time, Toefl is waived if:
    1) Your first language or the language used in your school is English
    2) You take SAT and hit the benchmark score in reading. For example, Dartmouth's old SAT reading score to waive TOEFL was 700.