Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Should I move forward or stand still even if I'm walking in the wrong direction

FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
I am a Nigerian Student who has received various admission packages from various schools in the United States of America. However, I chose to attend the school with the largest financial aid package. Recently I found out the financial aid I have received is not enough as I am 10k+ outstanding. I have requested for a payment plan but without a document from the bank saying I can pay for the full tuition the university can't proceed to process my I-20, without the I-20 I can't get my visa and without a visa I cannot attend university. Now I'm faced with two options, defer my entrance till January or maybe next year this means another year off school. I'm am 19 years old right now and I never expected my life would take a detour in which I could never recover from. The other option is to take a year in another country like Australia, Mauritius, Cyprus or somewhere else. I feel like if I do that I could very easily forfeit my opportunity to go to a great American university. I also know transferring after a year is another journey which I know nothing about. Could someone out there give me some words of advise? I'm really confused about this right now.

Replies to: Should I move forward or stand still even if I'm walking in the wrong direction

  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    If you go to a university anywhere, and then reapply to a US university, you would be considered a transfer student and your funding opportunities would greatly diminish as a transfer.
    You could take a gap year and reapply to other US universities. In your gap year, you can work or do internships but you cannot attend another university (anywhere) if you plan on enrolling as a US freshman student.

    Did you not see the overall cost of attending the university that admitted you?
    Sometimes the schools with large scholarships are already expensive to begin with; they give you a large package that discounts their heavy tuitions, but you still have to come up with the rest of the money.
  • gigichuckgigichuck Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    ^^^
    Also, you can find something to do if you do decide to take a gap year - get a job, start a business, write a book, take online courses. 19 years is pretty young to me, so I don't see what the rush is.

    Contact the university and see if they have need based aid for international students, or explain your circumstances and see what options they offer. Doesn't hurt to try.

    Good luck!
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    The visa requirements are not going to change. You will need to show sufficient financial resources to support yourself while you are in school. If the financial aid packages are not enough, you will need that money in the bank before you come. You generally cannot work for the money once you arrive in the US. (Some schools will give an on-campus work-study job for a portion of the amount you owe, but most employment would be illegal.)
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I just finished taking a gap year, I can't be home for two years that is very irresponsible. I had hoped my parents would be able to fund the rest but unfortunately, that is not possible at this time. I'm really confused, by deferring can I loose my current financial aid and scholarships?
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I already have a need-based zcholarzhip. My parents are scared that if I ask the financial office for more aid that if I still can't pay the rest and defer they might not keep my spot for fear that I would not be able to pay the following year az well.
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I know .. hence me asking advice about my options
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    Will you be able to pay in another year?
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    edited July 11
    Some schools won't hold your spot. Is this your second deferral with the school? You can ask them if they will hold your spot. Otherwise, reapply to more affordable schools this fall.

    It is not considered irresponsible if you can't come up with the money.
    Thousands of US students can't attend their schools because they lack money as well. Many are unfamiliar with how financial aid works; there are no full rides. Many of them take a gap year and reapply to more affordable schools. You may have to do that.
    In US colleges, there are no age limitations.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 27,777 Senior Member
    Other countries have rules about proving you can support yourself, too.
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    this is my first deferral, I already took a gap ear to reapply. this is my second set of applications. There are no age limitations in America but in Nigeria when I am looking for work they will see the 3-year gap on my cv. Even though i worked they are all menial jobs nothing concrete.
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I know .. the exchange rate from other currencies to mine is more affordable zo my parents can pay but to the dollar, not zo much..
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    What is your next best alternative to studying in the states? If you've done two application cycles and have not gotten an offer you could afford to accept either time, that's not a good sign. What exactly can you do in the next year that would make your results significantly different? 10,000 per year is a very low cost for an American college. Even if you want to leave Nigeria to study, there may be a better option than the USA.
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm looking at Australia at the moment, the first time I didn't get any scholarships or aid. I don't know at this point that is why I am thinking about deferring. 10,000 left not the total amount. here do you think is better than the USA?
  • gigichuckgigichuck Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    You can't have been doing nothing. Everything counts, even if you classify it as self employment on your CV.

    Also, contact the school. Seriously, do it right now.
Sign In or Register to comment.