Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
Rahila15Rahila15 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hello, I'm from India doing my 12th right now. I want to do psychology after my 12th and I want to do it out of India. I don't know which country is best for psychology. I want to do my UG in the USA but my sister says I won't be able to get into any universities in America easily, so she suggested me Canada. But my father is telling me to do in London so I'm totally confused. So can anyone please tell me which country and which university is good and best for me. And will be able get into any colleges if I get low percentage in my 12th?

Replies to: College

• paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,504 Senior Member
    Google. google goole.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,977 Senior Member
    What can your family pay? You need to figure that out first.

There are about 4000 different colleges and universities in the US. Most of them offer a psychology major. Some aren't picky at all about your secondary school grades provided you don't flat-out fail your classes. So yes, there would be some place here where you could study provided you have the money to cover the costs. You need to clarify your budget and your longer-term goals.

Start reading here: https://educationusa.state.gov/ and contact the advising center closest to where you live to get some personalized help.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 10,960 Senior Member
    There is no such thing as "best country for psychology"

The US, Canada and England all have many excellent schools where you can study psychology.

Your decision should be based on how much your family can afford, which schools are likely to accept you based on your academic record, what kind of psychology program you're looking for, and what your career plans are.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,045 Senior Member
    The US, Canada, the UK, and Australia all have a VERY strong university system, with large numbers of very good schools. Most universities in any of these countries have strong psychology programs.

There are thousands of universities in the US. Your grades would need to be quite poor to fail to get into *any* of them. However, universities in the US are frequently more expensive than in other countries, and getting a degree from a university in the US does not give you the ability to stay or to work in the US after graduation.

"Low percentage" is a relative term, and means very different things to different people.
  • flamingohairflamingohair Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Try and work out what is most valuable to you for your student experience - is it more important to live in a cool city or on a nice campus, or do you value the department strength more? Are you interested in a particular branch of your studies? Do you want research opportunities? Low fees? Extracurriculars? A part-time job? There are lots of different university experiences in all countries, and you want to make sure you get one that meets your needs and makes you happy. Sometimes it's not even the 'best' uni, it's just the best for you and what you want. :)
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,464 Senior Member
    We could best answer your questions if you could indicate your current grades, whether you've taken the SAT and/or the TOEFL and/or any other test, and what budget your parents have.
    I'm guessing your grades aren't very good, in which case the US system, which is holistic (taking many criteria into account, such as your college admission essays, teachers' recommendations, whether you took lots of easy/non academic classes or on the contrary took lots of difficult classes in a subject you're interested in...) In the UK it's strictly your grades, and in Canada strictly grades and test scores.
    A university that's known for its psychology program and is relatively easy to get into (B average in a strong curriculum) would be Clark University.
    There are thousands more in the US and Canada.
  • Rahila15Rahila15 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    No, I haven't yet taken the SAT or TOEFL or anything. And my grades aren't bad at all, I'm just worried about it because it's public exam. Here in India it is considered very important and because of that fear and stress many students make a lot of mistakes in their finals. And my parents budget is not very hight but I'll try for some student's loan or scholarship
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,464 Senior Member
    We need actual numbers ($amount, grades, etc.)
    If your grades are good you'll have more choices but budget remains a big criterion.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,045 Senior Member
    edited July 25
    "And my parents budget is not very high"

This is likely to make the US unaffordable unless you are one of the very very top students from your country.

"because of that fear and stress many students make a lot of mistakes in their finals"

You might want to consider learning relaxation / meditation techniques, and spend a bit of time to clear your brain and get your anxiety down prior to tests.
  • Rahila15Rahila15 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 28
    Can you please tell me few things University of Toronto? When I was looking out for good universities I came to know bout U of T. And I also saw that U of T is one of the best university for psychology
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 10,960 Senior Member
    ^^ That ranking probably is linked to U of T's GRADUATE programs in psychology.