Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

IB Diploma Grades --> GPA Conversion

charlotteaimeecharlotteaimee Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited September 2010 in International Students
How would one convert an IB 1-7 Grade to a 4.0 scale?

I go to an all-IB school and am not sure how I can compare myself to others here..
Post edited by charlotteaimee on

Replies to: IB Diploma Grades --> GPA Conversion

• juliusharkjuliushark Posts: 777Registered User Member
    I'd like to know this too. what is the percentage conversion cause I think my HS uses % GPAs. I did freshman and sophomore normal, and I might transfer to IB in 11/12
  • Fin-IBFin-IB Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    I would be interesting in knowing this as well. And btw, does anyone know how much do US colleges care about IB predicted grades?
  • AzeAze Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    My HS officially equates 7 with an A+, 6 with an A, 5 with a B, and so on.

Which is rather unfortunate as it means that those with straight sevens will have the same US college GPA as those with straight sixes.
  • b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,441Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think it's that unfortunate. It's not any different from considering both a 98 and a 91 an A, like some American high schools do.

To the OP: IB grades are usually not converted to a 4.0 scale. Even if they were, it wouldn't mean anything because GPAs from different schools in the US are not easily comparable. In one school a 3.6 might place you in the top 10% of your class, at another it means you are in the bottom half. That's why (estimated) class ranks are so important for admission.
  • NosikeNosike Posts: 619Registered User Member
    7 = 96%
    6 = 90%
    5 = 86%
    4 = 76%
    3 = 70%