Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Important Advice for International Students

Replies to: Important Advice for International Students

• yameeeyameee Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    thanks its really helpful!
  • anouar95anouar95 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, Im a rising senior from Morocco, I want to pursue my studies in chemical engineering, I applied last year for Florida Tech, and I got mt admission letter not so long ago, I got a $13000 scholarship, still got approxamitively $35000 to pay and it's way too expensive for me, I have considered international student loans/private institution scholarshisps and so on...but the process is long and complicated, my question is; what would be the best option for me:
    -drop my dream of going to Florida tech and look for other colleges that offer better financial aid.
    -consider going to an american university in my home country and earn a BS in general engineering then maybe hope for a MS chemical engineering in the U.S.
    -other option.
  • Zayan95Zayan95 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey guys. I'm a green-card holder living in Bangladesh. I'll be applying for the fall session and I was wondering if I'll be classified as an international student or not. If I am an international student, do I have to give IELTS or TOEFL? I have a B in O' Level English. Thank you.
  • MishigMishig Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    thank you very much
  • NalediMasNalediMas Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    @SA113...I'm also from South Africa! Wow! You sound like such an outstanding child! What school do you go to?
  • Kenyangirl6Kenyangirl6 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    I'm from Kenya...
    anyone with Stanford advice for Int'l Student...
  • gianegizellegianegizelle Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    great source of information. it is so very helpful
  • emily01emily01 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Marked marked
  • toooooooetoooooooe Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Thanks for the great resource! !!
  • cakane7cakane7 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    Hello everyone, I applied to some schools on RD but I have a problem with my principal. He does not know any word of english. Can anybody help me with the common app school report so I can explain him.
  • kevkess1kevkess1 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thanks a lot
  • violet564violet564 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone. I'm a Nigerian and i'm looking at going abroad to study international relations...please can you recommend a university with low tuition that lectures in English..i would have preferred the US but their tuition are just **** expensive
  • SkirtCopSkirtCop Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Well I don't have any experience in these, but my friends sister is studying something called international relations in Bournemouth university. For her the tuition fee is around 3000 £, includes an apartment. Of course you can try Finnish or Swedish universities, because there are no tuition fees.
  • katieerbachkatieerbach Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I came from a country that doesn't require car insurance, but here in the U.S., they do. So once you get your driver's license, look for an affordable car insurance. There's two kinds: full coverage or liability only. The second one is cheaper but it will only cover the damage of the other vehicle you crashed into, and you pay for your own.

I was really surprised moving here because I didn't take insurance into consideration when computing my monthly spendings. So it's something you can think about, although it's better to just live near the campus and just walk or bike!

My background: I go to Michigan State University and it's a GIGANTIC campus and driving is really advisable for my case since there are no buses near my building.

Source: http://www.arnoutsins.com/msu-student-faculty-insurance.html
  • MMVenezuelaMMVenezuela Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Hi! I'm a senior from an international school in Venezuela and applying to several petroleum engineering schools in the US. So far I have been accepted into 6 out of 13, and I plan on being accepted into a couple more. I mean, I have an awesome GPA and relatively high SAT score. Nevertheless, the problem for me is not acceptance, but rather funding. My family would not be able to pay anything at all, and I wanted to ask if there are any funds, foundations, scholarships, or particular universities that might best suit me.
This discussion has been closed.