Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

HKU or HKUST

Replies to: HKU or HKUST

• michellegermichelleger Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    oh yeah i meant that, but i didnt know there was a difference...whats the e stand for anyway? its probably a stupid question but i dont know what it is.

TheGrand, so would you pick HKU over HKUST for a bachelor of science degree, or anything for that matter? just curious, and i was wondering what your reasoning would be besides that one is just better in general.
  • ysberaysbera Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    hey, I haven't checked out this thread for a long time
    No I don't go to HKUST but I did apply there. If I got accepted to both HKU BBA(IBGM) or HKUST Double Degree I would go to HKUST because as I have said its newer, next to the beach, very good for technology and the dual degree program really appeals to me. Furthermore, my dad told me Nokia recruits extensively at HKUST so I am guessing many other top firms do to.

Btw did anyone get accepted into HKUST already? Conditional or Unconditional
    i didnt get a reply yet but i just applied like a week ago but ill probably post on this thread when i find out
  • DonutzDonutz Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Regarding to the CUHK problem, I think I did not make a mistake. The criteria is on this link.

Admissions
    hmmm thats funny, i might send over an email and ask about it. I think they say university study is required since in HK theres an entire extra year of secondary school than in US...not sure if thats where u r located though.....If i were you and i really wanted to go I would just apply anyway. Are you taking AP courses? those will probably help. But idk, maybe CUHK isnt scouting for internationals as much...
  • wingceewingcee Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I think that depends on your intended major.If your major is law,med,then HKU,if it is Business,Engineering,Math,then HKUST.The ranking is like this:HKU>CUHK>HKUST>POLY U>CITY U
    Am I correct that HKUST has rolling admissions and international standards are lower?
    i think youre right about that, and HKU as well. although neither advertise rolling admission, but im pretty sure both do.
    Yea.

I reaallllyyy want to hear back from. So Michelle what courses did you apply to?
    i applied for bachelor of science from HKU(not sure what specifically yet, probably nutrition), and b.s biochem for HKUST. hah, i was going to apply for IBGM for HKU, i was having cold feet about the science field... =P both my parents think hku is a better choice, bc its ranked higher, but hkust is ranked higher for science i think...are you a HongKonger by any chance?
    Nope, I am an international applicant.
    ohhh, sweet. well hey if you get accepted maybe post on the thread and let us all know =)
    haha I hope so, haha I applied to probably the most competitive courses for both HKU and HKUST. Well will all post here with good news hopefully.

But yea are Hong Kong universities your first choice?
    yup, absolutely top choice for me, im so excited at the prospect of HK! just hope theyll give me some merit scholarship, b/c all the scholarships i can apply for are for US schools or study abroad for like a semester or so...err actually i just want to be accepted, period. scholarship would be nice tho...
    oh yea, HK is my favorite city. Your an international applicant? If you are, it is probably quite easy to get a scholarship I think. But yea haha I want to accepted too but HK universities are not my first choices.

But best wishes to you though!