Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

HKU or HKUST

Replies to: HKU or HKUST

• doktorbalkadoktorbalka Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @sroy17 oh... did you apply for an undergraduate degree? I applied in the early round already but I haven't received a mail about the application status therefore it still says "under consideration"
  • KarimessiKarimessi Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I applied to early track and I thought if that turns out to be unsuccessful, the application is automatically handed over to the main track. Are the main track results all out? Because my HKU application account has been closed and I need to register again...? I can't access my account anymore. I rejected one of the offers and I had two left "under consideration". Not sure if this is normal...
  • Ananya27Ananya27 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    @Karimessi Did you apply directly through HKU or the CommonApp. I was in same situation. Applied in December through the common app and had no access to HKU portal account. Only yesterday, I got an email from HKU that they have created an account for me to track my application online, and to upload all supporting documents. I initially had sent all supporting documents by the email, and it seems they need it to be uploaded directly on the portal. Seems, they now are working on applications received through the Commonapp. You can drop an email to them as I did. Do not expect an immediate response though.
  • chlzyochlzyo Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey guys, I have received the offer from HKU since december and they gave me some conditions. However my country (Indonesia) changed the exam policy and it affect my offer conditions. I have emailed them since the end of January and they said my application is being reviewed. However, up until this day they did nt update it to me about my offer condition and my exam is coming in 2 weeks! I am wondering if it needs a very long tims for HKU reply their email or any other reason?
    Does anyone have the same condition like me?
    Thank you!

For others who are wondering HKU or HKUST i believe its your own opinion. I received both from HKUST (with scholarship offered) and HKU and I chose HKU. Both universities have great reputation and employment rate and it is all depends on yourself, environment, courses, dorm etc. :)
  • DherlockDherlock Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Guys how important is HKU open house interview? Do all applicants get to do this?
  • JackjarJackjar Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @JorahTheExplorer I was in similar dilemma when i got offer from HKU and HKUST.. As an international student from IB school i had to balance between better multicultural vs academic environment.. After discussing with many past students, i ended up accepting HKUST business school offer on account of the fact that general consensus is HKUST offer better academic environment and considering total no. of students joining business school is quite large so even 5-8% international students should be good enough to provide the mix i need.. After all how many people we end up hanging out with? A decent mix of 15-20 is more than enough to make 4 year's enjoyable journey.. Cheers!
  • JorahTheExplorerJorahTheExplorer Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @Jackjar thank you so much!
  • THEliberatorTHEliberator Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Can you get waitlisted at HKUST? I received an update with application unsuccessful in one school and there's a dash in the other school's result section. What does the dash mean? Does it mean the result is still pending or...?
  • sal20ninisal20nini Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    probably unless it says time lapsed or something
  • sal20ninisal20nini Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Can someone give me tips on the HKU skype interview for the Med faculty . I have applied to the BBioMed programme
  • fitswellfitswell Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Hey guys,

I know you people here are the best consultants out there, and a friend of mine just happens to need your help. So this kid from my high school received offers for three undergrad business programs and is struggling to come down to one. Here they are:

HKU BBA
    HKUST BBA
    CUHK IBCE

At the moment, he's unsure what he wants from college, or what he even wants to do after college. But for now, he wants to choose a program that will best prepare him for the job market (networking opportunities, technical training, school corporation affiliations, caliber of classmates etc). Any expert advice would be appreciated!

# Just to add one thing, he's not so much of a number-crunching mathy kind of person, but a culture/arts/humanities kinda person.
  • imconfusedafimconfusedaf Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited April 13
    Hey ! I'm new here and I need some advice. I'm a Singaporean student and I got accepted into HKUST Business and Management program (no scholarship) and paid the deposit alrdy. Then I received an offer for NTU economics and I can't decide which one to go for now. The fees will be much cheaper for NTU since I'm local but I don't know what I can do with a Degree in Econs and the modules seem pretty dry IMO. I also would like to experience studying abroad and having a hall life. But compared to paying the international fees in HKUST, I could go along with NTU. What do you guys think?
  • st30218sterst30218ster Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I am currently a freshman in GSU looking to transfer to HKUST and so far I haven't heard from the school, is it possible that I got denied already seeing as how results are normally rolled out til the end of April.
    @imconfusedaf I don't know about Business and Management programs but assuming that Business programs at HKUST and NTU are of similar quality and international recognition, I would choose to go to NTU for undergraduate studies and if you are still willing to study abroad take postgraduate studies in places like Hong Kong (Just an opinion of another random student)
    Did anyone get an offer from HKU BSc Actuarial Science??? That's the last offer I'm waiting for to make my final decision and want to know if I should give up on waiting. The offers made for main track come out too late when I need to make a decision as quickly as possible with other American / British colleges I have applied waiting for my answer...