Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

funny british TV shows

fajufaju Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited March 2009 in International Students
hey Guys,

I like to watch US TV shows such as How I met your mother, Nip Tuck, Boston Legal etc.
I'm going to take the Cambridge Certification this year and the listening part is obvilously in British English.
I was wondering if there are any good British TV shows, so that I can get used to the British accent. Of course, there is always BBC but I thought about a more entertaining show.
Post edited by faju on

Replies to: funny british TV shows

• lilygraceslilygraces Posts: 1,195Registered User Senior Member
    SKINS!!! WATCH IT! It's amazing.
  • KarpovKarpov Posts: 647Registered User Member
    Well the British sense of humor is quite different from the American. It might take you some time getting used to it.
    There are some really good shows. There's Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder Series. I think BBC prime airs it frequently. There is YEs Minister. Not bad at all. and if you like the american apprentice you might wanna wacth the british versionmtoo. But the best thing they have by far is Top Gear.
  • hopeful878hopeful878 Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    Vicar of Dibley. It's not new anymore, but I love it!
  • KING IS HEREKING IS HERE Posts: 426Registered User Member
    yeah british TV is much different then UK TV. I was raised in the US so dont find the British Humor or their shows any 'worthwhile' so i just stick to my US shows - 24, Prison Break, Lost and etc
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    It's not really comedy, but Torchwood is great. :)

so that I can get used to the British accent.
    There isn't a "British accent" any more than there is an "American accent" (perhaps even less so). People from, say, Somerset have very different accents than those from Liverpool (scouse). You'll hear different accents from different people on different shows.
  • cdovercdover Posts: 483Registered User Member
    The Catherine Tate Show, Little Britain, The Office, Peepshow umm those are my favourite. I'm sure I'm missing something.
  • KelesoKeleso Posts: 344Registered User Junior Member
    Torchwood is the best show, ever. ;D

Red Dwarf is a good British comedy from the '80s.
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    I can't believe I forgot Sunday Night Project earlier. It's a bit campy but hilarious. :D
  • talha_adnantalha_adnan Posts: 715Registered User Member
    Watch BBC Entertainment. Easiest way to get used to British accent.
  • petrina_678petrina_678 Posts: 115Registered User Junior Member
    little Britain , the office (the UK one) , oh and Monty python !!!

its not too hard to get used too though :)
  • sephirothxsephirothx Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    I‘ve watched only skins for same reason with u. It's difficult to understand British kind of humour. For me, at least.
  • FlibbFlibb Posts: 1,044Registered User Senior Member
    British are the funniest comedies!

Watch A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Blackadder!
  • DerDeutscheMannDerDeutscheMann Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    EXTRAS!!!!! Ricky Gervais is just a genius. If you wanna get used to the real harsh british accent, watch Extras. It is funny as hell and since there are some American famous actors in some episodes you will have a chance to compare.

But I dont think that there will be a real strong accent in the Cambridge Certificate listening section.
  • scaredycatscaredycat Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    Blackadder Goes Forth is hilarious!! So is My Family. I faintly remember Yes Minister, but what I do remember is funny so go for it.
  • cdovercdover Posts: 483Registered User Member
    THE MIGHTY BOOSH

if you like quirky humour, handmade costumes and spontaneous outbursts of song, you will love this show. It's probably one of my favourite shows ever