Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do UK, Austrailian or Canadian Colleges look at SAT's

IcerIcer Posts: 1,012Registered User Member
edited August 2005 in International Students
While I am going to apply to US colleges, I might eight end up in the UK or in Canada because schools in the US are very expensive. There are some scholarships available and while they may not be difficult to obtain some don't have sufficient funds to support college in the US. I would like to know how much do schools in the UK and Canada look into SAT's and SAT ll.
Post edited by Icer on

Replies to: Do UK, Austrailian or Canadian Colleges look at SAT's

• CDN_dancerCDN_dancer Posts: 2,579Registered User Senior Member
    To my knowledge, Canadian universities do not require SAT or SATII scores, however I think some (or all?) will take a look at them if you've taken the exam and choose to submit the scores.
  • iwantfoodiwantfood Posts: 579. Member
    canadian universities require SATs if you are coming from the US
  • babatikididobabatikidido Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    You mentioned Australian universities in your title, but not in the text...
    Anyway, just wanted to point out that in Australia you apply for a specific degree - so getting into a course for law or medicine will be much more difficult than for say, fine arts or journalism. This is how it works for Australian students anyway, but you'd have to verify how it goes for internationals.
  • jay01jay01 Posts: 572Registered User Member
    "Anyway, just wanted to point out that in Australia you apply for a specific degree - so getting into a course for law or medicine will be much more difficult than for say, fine arts or journalism. This is how it works for Australian students anyway, but you'd have to verify how it goes for internationals."
    Australian unis will look at SATs but it's not the most important thing. they dont ask you to do essays and stuff though. They just look at your school-leaving exam score. Anyway, you'll probably have to pay full fee.
  • NatalyaBobertoNatalyaBoberto Posts: 170Registered User Junior Member
    Schools in the UK will look at SAT's and SAT II's (and AP's if you have them). McGill (Canada) wanted SAT II's, but I don't know if that's true for all of Canada.

The UK system is a bit different. Like in Australia, you apply to a specific course. You may receive a conditional offer and have to do more testing. It's just different from what we do in the US, so I suggest you research it through UCAS or through each individual university.
  • cfloryancfloryan Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Same in Canada, you apply for specific programs. And McGill wants SAts if you're from the US, but I've never heard of any other schools here asking for them.
  • Mafan0815_gerMafan0815_ger Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Cambridge and Oxford told me after asking that I don't need any tests, actually ... I hope they meant SAT as well, cause they just talked about TOEFL. It would help to clarify that you're able to use English by doing the IELTS test and getting a score of 7.0 or better ... easy stuff, you know.
  • NewbyrebornNewbyreborn Posts: 2,026Registered User Senior Member
    but don't worry about the SAT requirement, at u of t, it's only like 1000 for the old one, which i think is kept low on purpose, b/c u of t wants multicultural diversity and it wants students coming from the US. I think if you are intl. you got an edge, although it's not guranteed
    some kid i know from england got rejected by u of t, but got accepted to Imperial College, so.... i really don't know what to say after that except "it's all luck"