Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

High School Senior-> Summer Ideas?

gtlanegtlane Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
Hey guys,

I'm a high school senior graduating this year looking to go into engineering.

I have essentially nothing to do this summer so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for internships/volunteer work.

Being paid is not so much an issue but I need something to do for 3 months

I'm doing well in a private school right now, are there any volunteer opportunities tutoring children? Or maybe a day camp for underprivileged children?

I would also love to do an engineering internship but I don't want to be stuck stapling papers or handling calls.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!
Post edited by gtlane on

Replies to: High School Senior-> Summer Ideas?

• chriswchrisw Posts: 1,385Registered User Senior Member
    Get a job in a restaurant. Even if you don't need the money, the experience of working in an industry where you don't need a high school degree, let alone a college degree, in order to excel is invaluable. You'll also gain a much healthier respect for waitstaff when you are out to eat at a restaurant.
  • gtlanegtlane Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    I have many friends who bus/wait restaurants (including my roommate), and I already have a high respect for the waitstaff and the people behind the scenes.

How do I go about getting a job? Just travel around to all the local eateries and ask if they have anything open in the Summer?
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 1,385Registered User Senior Member
    Put together a resume, and start looking within a couple weeks of when you want to start (unless you could work part-time during the school year). You can always apply to places early, but realistically restaurants don't really hire waitstaff more than two weeks in advance. They operate on an as-needed basis. Don't be discouraged if you have trouble finding a place to offer you a job... it's tough for anyone without prior experience. Just show that you are very interested in working hard and being flexible for the restaurant, and you'll be fine.

It may be worthwhile to ask your friends to help you get jobs. My first restaurant job came about after I asked a friend what he was doing after school. He said he was going to work at a restaurant, and so I was just like, "so uh... could you get me a job there?" He gave my name to the manager and I was working within three days. At the same time, the job I held for the past three summers came about when I was applying to literally 25 restaurants within two days. This restaurant was the last one I applied to and the ONLY one that responded to me; this is after having two years' experience, no less!

Keep your head up, don't be afraid of difficulties, and you will have a helluva good summer :)