Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Realistic Future for CS Student

KaneGoodenKaneGooden Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
Hey guys I am considering a major in Computer science and, unless I get accepted to CMU or Stanford with good financial aid, I will realistically need to attend NC state (in state) or Ga Tech with great oos financial aid. First off, what are the chances of a cs major getting internships and stellar jobs at tech companies like google/IBM, or any company that researches and advances technology vs a company that uses a cs employee to simply maintain their structures? Mainly, what are the chances of having an exciting career in cs!? Also, are these chances lowered by attending ncsu vs gt vs cmu vs Stanford?
Post edited by KaneGooden on

Replies to: Realistic Future for CS Student

• DueceyDuecey Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    It has little impact for jobs, moreso for internships. The average Stanford/CMU hire at Google will be a stellar candidate. If a student from NCSU/GaTech has similar attributes, then they can get hired just as easily. The biggest factors are high GPA and a portfolio of impressive work.

At Stanford/CMU, students tend to be more motivated. At lower-tier schools, more emphasis is placed on sports and lifestyle, so it's more difficult to stay motivated.

If you graduate with 3.7+, have portfolio of work and normal personality, you will have your choice of employer, regardless of where you graduate.
  • HereWeGo2HereWeGo2 Posts: 259Registered User Junior Member
    The Research Triangle Park area has a large cluster of tech-related firms, and you do not have to be in Silicon Valley or an IT center to need CS interns and co-ops. NC State has a great rep at least regionally. So does GT, so does Virginia Tech. If you have the academics to consider CMU and Stamford, UVA has an excellent CS school. You can have an exciting CS/IT-related career coming out of any of these schools.