College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my current situation. As I've said in an earlier thread, I graduated in December 2011, and have been applying for jobs ever since. I've been interviewing at least once almost every week. So roughly around 30 interviews this year alone. They are all for entry-level positions, fairly competitive, and a majority of the interviews were for jobs in my field. No offers obviously. :/
I was working for a temp agency since April but was laid off unexpectedly yesterday because my project had ended (no more work for us to do.) Luckily I had 2 interviews the day before that for 2 different positions. Job A is through a recruiter (same one who got me the first temp job). It's a temp position that should last around 6-8 months with a good chance to be hired on permanently. Job B is a permanent, entry-level position, in my field, aimed towards graduates. It's a physically small company, but a huge, crucial company in my field. They are interviewing 6 people and have 2 openings.
Both companies should have made their hiring decisions by Monday or Tuesday next week. The problem is, Job B is obviously my first choice, but Job A has already expressed to my recruiter that they loved me and would absolutely hire me if they have enough openings (they are still deciding how many people they can hire but haven't made any decisions yet). The recruiter told me that if they offer me a position, I will not have the opportunity to think about it. I will need to make a decision immediately. And that the recruiter will get penalized if I accept the offer, and then accept a counter offer (Job B).
This is a very difficult decision for me. Because I know the recruiter personally and don't want to do something that could hurt her job. Say Job A offers me a job first, and I accept. Then Job B offers me a job after. Or Job A offers me a job, and I decline and Job B doesn't offer me a job at all. Or say I call/e-mail Job B and let them know my situation (getting laid off, and recruiter finding me a different position), it might hurt my chances of getting hired at all. But I don't even know if I'll get any offers at all... I have a good feeling about both, but with my luck, who knows. I just want to be prepared for next week.