College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
I interviewed with company 1 and company 2, both through my school's career center. Company 1 is my first choice in terms of location, industry and future career development. Company 2 offered me the job fast, and after negotiation I only had a week to consider it, and I was told that they have to move on if I don't make a decision after the one week I was given. I pushed company 1 to give me a decision, yet despite the people there wanting to help they still can't let me know the result.
Now my deadline is apporaching, I really want to decline company 2 and wait for comapny 1, but at the same time I don't want to face the situation where comapny 1 rejects me and I end up with no offer. I can take the offer from company 2 but I won't be happy in company 2, and since they are in different industries I might not be able to swich to comppany 1 in the future. I think accepting and then reneging on company 2's offer is unethical and too risky for my repuation.
I kind of feel that company 1 doesn't really want me as they couldn't speed up the process (they are hiring about 20-30 people for my position and interviewing a lot more than that though), but regardless I still want to work for company 1. I can possibly swich to comapny 1 once I get some experience in company 2 but from what I heard that's very difficult.
So I have to make a decision without all the information, any suggestions/advice on what I should consider in making the difficult decision - the most difficult in my life so far? What do you think you would do if you were in my shoes and why? Thanks a lot for any input!