Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Engineering & Design

tom1030tom1030 Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
Hello,

I am graduating this December in an engineering degree and am having an internal debate about how to 'plan out' my career. As far as I could remember, I wanted to be a designer, or work somewhere that cultivates innovation/creativity. Somehow I ended up in engineering, which got me into a heavily technical and analytical mindset, but I'm still interested in heading towards the design career.

I have heard stories about people who have studied highly technical undergrad degrees, got an MBA, went to Design school and now have a job position that is a combination of analytic and design responsibilities. This is something that greatly attracted me, since I did not know such a path was possible.

What can I do to end up doing something similar? Do you know anyone who has done this as well?
Post edited by tom1030 on

Replies to: Engineering & Design

• LakemomLakemom Posts: 2,555Registered User Senior Member
    Perhaps get a Masters in Industrial design. Getting an MBA means you are interested in the business/operations side of the industry. There are a number of schools that have MS in Indust. Design and you may find that because you are capable of both the "how it looks" and "how it works side" you will be considered a find.