Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

army reserve, national guard job.

atreenatreen Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
I've read article that say that national guard and reservists have a ahrd time finding full time jobs due to training and unexpected deployments. An article says that 65% of the companies surveyed would rather not hire them. Anybody have experience with this? What about for officer? Some of them have masters or even phd's
Post edited by atreen on

Replies to: army reserve, national guard job.

• kkuo12887kkuo12887 Posts: 117Registered User Junior Member
    When I get home, I will answer your question. Standby.
    I've read article that say that national guard and reservists have a ahrd time finding full time jobs due to training and unexpected deployments. An article says that 65% of the companies surveyed would rather not hire them. Anybody have experience with this? What about for officer? Some of them have masters or even phd's

I'm a 1st Lieutenant Infantry platoon leader in the Army National Guard. I'll speak for my peers who are also commissioned officers.

Most of the time they are unable to find jobs not due to training or deployments. It's because the a good amount of them are just imbeciles.

If you do the same things as any academically successful college grad:
    1. Stay out of trouble.
    2. Obtain and maintain your security clearance.
    3. Major in something that is actually employable such as Engineering or Computer Science.
    4. Strive to find a meaningful part-time job or internship.

... you will do fine.
  • atreenatreen Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the answer.
    Also, can you transfer from your assigned post to another (in a different state) easily for a new civilian job?
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,648Registered User Senior Member
    I know a number of people that have transferred fairly easily to couple with civilian jobs, though for disclosure, I work in DC so there might just be a lot of options where I am.
  • atreenatreen Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks.
    Also, on the same line, any idea on which one has the beter balance for civilian/military career in terms of mobility (if you have to around to find the civilian job you like) for early career, AR vs NG? Does NG have more units around the country than AR?
    Also, can you transfer from your assigned post to another (in a different state) easily for a new civilian job?
    The process you are referring to is called an IST (Inter State Transfer) for the National Guard. It's easy in concept, but it's hard in practice because it relies on the soldier taking charge of his/her own career and finding a gaining unit.
    Also, on the same line, any idea on which one has the beter balance for civilian/military career in terms of mobility (if you have to around to find the civilian job you like) for early career, AR vs NG? Does NG have more units around the country than AR?
    This is a very complex question but I'll give you the Cliff Notes. Your civilian/military life balance depends on many things such as your duty position, chain of command culture, etc. It's hard to say.
    The ARNG does a better job of developing junior leaders. The ARNG has opportunities for combat arms duty assignments, the USAR usually does not. Past Captain, your better bet is the USAR as they have more of a stove pipe force structure compared to the pyramid force structure of the ARNG.

Most of your questions are answered at Army National Guard Forums