Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How do you become an admissions officer?

SerendipityRingSerendipityRing Posts: 170Registered User Junior Member
I am kind of thinking about ditching law/law school for a career in admissions.... I worked at GW's undergraduate admissions office for two and a half years, but only as an admissions representative/assistant. What qualifications do you need to be an Admissions Director/Assistant Director? Do you need an MBA/M.Ed/PHD? Which is the best degree to have for this kind of work?

Ideally, I would like to work for a school like GW/BU/Tulane/NYU... like a semi-competitive urban private school.
Post edited by SerendipityRing on

Replies to: How do you become an admissions officer?

• Cornell2012Cornell2012 Posts: 113Registered User Junior Member
    I always thought that admissions officers only worked part-time. To me, that would be the only sensible thing to do. I mean, do universities really need hundreds of people reviewing/promoting the university year-round? Maybe, they do, so I could be wrong. However, I've always thought that people could never rely on becoming an adcom as a career.
  • tenisghstenisghs Posts: 3,955Registered User Senior Member
    @ SerendipityRing

You need at least a BA/BS to be an admissions officer. If you have experience as an undergraduate volunteer in admissions, that is a plus. It also helps if you have a Master in Higher Education degree + practicum experience too.
  • hampsterhampster Posts: 153Registered User Junior Member
    an admissions job unless you want to be a dean/director. If you you're open to it, you could apply to GW right now since you already have experience there. You could also contact any people you know in admissions and see if they can put in a word for you at other schools that might be hiring.

P.S. Drop me a line if you'd like to talk more about the admissions thing. I'm in the same boat. Recently decided against law school and would like to get back into admissions.

*Edit: Missed your question about qualifications for director/assistant director. I think any of those degrees would work. The director of my alma mater's admissions office has an M.Ed. The head of admissions of one of the schools I'm applying to for a job holds an MBA, which I'm also planning on obtaining after at least a 2 year stint working full-time in admissions, and at the bigger private schools, I've noticed a preponderance of Ph.ds.