Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

careers involving calculus?

AKittkaAKittka Posts: 1,412Registered User Senior Member
what are some careers and specific jobs that require daily use of calculus?

- thanks
Post edited by AKittka on

Replies to: careers involving calculus?

• lil_killer129lil_killer129 Posts: 4,706Registered User Senior Member
  • AKittkaAKittka Posts: 1,412Registered User Senior Member
    was it really necessary to just reply with professor and nothing else? come on buddy. can i get a serious response? thanks.
  • ctmathctmath Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    perhaps what he meant is that in most professions where calc is needed they use computers (maple/matlab/commercial engineering software) now... so the only job where you really do the nitty gritty calc is teaching it.

there are occasions, you need calc to pass actuary tests. but i dont know what the math they do is like besides being difficult.
  • aworldapartaworldapart Posts: 223- Junior Member
    Quantitative finance (i.e. trading structured products). To my understanding, you use stochastic calculus, differential equations, and Taylor series on a fairly regular basis.
  • cryptographycryptography Posts: 67Registered User Junior Member
    The only profession where you're going to be using calculus strictly is probably a professor.

Seriously, what good is calculus for? It is the basis for higher level mathematics including analysis, differential equations, stochastics, statistics...etc.

If you want to pursue any quantitative career such as quant trading for example, you're going to need heavy math....

Most college students know calculus, so the calculus skill really isn't anything special.
    ok i'm not trying to debate whether calculus is important in the real world or not. my calculus teacher gave my class an assignment to find two jobs that require calculus (not teaching) and give a presentation on them. i don't care if college students know calculus making it less significant in the real world somehow? i just want a few solid answers to my question. i've found a few jobs so far, but none have been too appealing to me. quantitative finance looks like a cool occupation to present though haha.
  • kmzizzlekmzizzle Posts: 1,248Registered User Senior Member
    actuary
    i hate 10 char limit
  • armchrtravlrarmchrtravlr Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    Engineering, all kinds, require calculus daily. In fact, my understanding is that engineers spend their days working math problems and use calculus constantly. If you are good at it, and don't mind doing problems all day, I guess you know what you should be majoring in!
    yeah i'm pretty sure chemical, electric, and nuclear engineering involve a lot of calculus. ^thanks
  • tomboytomboy Posts: 229Registered User Junior Member
    engineering.

Those transforms require calc...
  • uha1uha1 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member