Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Consulting at the Big4

pokey07pokey07 Posts: 190Registered User Junior Member
Can someone explain this to me? Do all Big4 firms offer this? Is there as much traveling as the more prestigious consulting firms? And what are the sort of requirements needed to get a consulting position at the Big4?

Thanks as always.
Post edited by pokey07 on

Replies to: Consulting at the Big4

• pokey07pokey07 Posts: 190Registered User Junior Member
    BUMP, anyone have an idea?
  • DawgieDawgie Posts: 1,576Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think anyone really knows, or has a prestigious job there. They are pretty competitive.
  • passerbypasserby Posts: 617Registered User Member
    At a Big 4, is it harder to get into the Audit/Assurance practice, or the Consulting/Advisory practice?

Also, for the OP, you might find some of the info here useful: Consulting Firm Rankings: Vault Top 50 Management & Strategy Consulting Firms
    Consulting by far, unless you apply for the stupid technology position at the consulting practice.
  • tobleronetoblerone Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    From my knowledge, people generally go into assurance or tax first, and after a little while, they go into advisory (consulting). At least that's how my boss told me. But I have seen job postings from big 4's consulting/advisory side at my school's career website. But I'm thinking it's just as competitive as a regular consulting firm, if not more, b/c of the number-driver focus.
    toblerone, the consulting and financial advisory are different.
  • collegebound_07collegebound_07 Posts: 651Registered User Member
    What kind of undergraduate opportunities are available at the big4?
  • passerbypasserby Posts: 617Registered User Member
    What kind of undergraduate opportunities are available at the big4?

It's pretty much audit, tax, and advisory.
    How are the consulting and financial advisory different at Big4? Maybe the financial advisory is what I should be looking at getting into after undergrad?
    It's a totally seperate entity with seperate job opportunities and not to mention a hell of a lot more prestigious and better paying (Besides the stupid technology position).
  • ameherallyameherally Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    Whats so bad about technology advisory or consulting?
    Do jumps from financial advisory to consulting happen? Is it difficult to get into financial advisory from undergrad? I don't see my resume putting me right into consulting at a big 4 firm right from undergrad.

I'm currently e-mailing an employee with PwC to find out some answers as well, but he's in audit so I'm sure what he knows is limited. If I find out any info I'll be sure to post it in this thread.
    Not sure where "position" turned into the whole advisory or consulting practice.
  • collegebound_07collegebound_07 Posts: 651Registered User Member
    Are there any specific undergrad programs for consulting?
  • leo187umleo187um Posts: 425Registered User Member
    Advisory (Consulting) at a big 4 is much more difficult to get into than traditional audit/tax.

I think if one is an acct major at a decent school with a GPA above 3.3 he has a good chance of getting into audit/tax (given that he's not a total wierdo :))

People that get into advisory are the top students at their program (this does not pertain to uber-elite schools such as Wharton).

Some advisory practices are:
    TAS (transaction advisory services)
    FAS (foresic accounting + legal services)
    TP (transfer pricing)
    Econ + Val (Economics and valuation services)

People in advisory usually already have certifications and advanced degrees such as CPA, CFA, JD, etc.

Hope this helps!