Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Internships that Provide Housing

aube88aube88 Posts: 357Registered User Member
It's probably too late for these..this summer. But for those of you who have an internship that provides housing, or have discovered ones on your search, please share! For next summer, I am interested in going somewhere new, and I thought it would be useful to myself and others to start a list of internships which provide housing and where.

1. Tom's Shoes, Santa Monica CA TOMS Shoes, Human Resources Article - Inc. Article
Post edited by aube88 on

Replies to: Internships that Provide Housing

• hmom5hmom5 Posts: 10,882- Senior Member
    This would be a really silly way to look for the best possible internship. Be resourseful, summer sublets and university housing can easily land you an inexpensive place to stay in most cities.
  • TheDadTheDad Posts: 10,193Registered User, ! Senior Member
    I agree with HMom. Picking an internship because of housing is like choosing a college because you like the school colors.
  • aube88aube88 Posts: 357Registered User Member
    Yes, but having an internship where you live with the people you work with is an entirely different experience than commuting to an internship and living in a dorm or apartment. I have a friend who did the Tom's internship and LOVED it; not only did she get free housing and the chance to live somewhere new, but she really bonded with her co-workers. I am just wondering if there are more internships like this out there! Obviously it wouldn't be the only reason to apply for an internship - but I think it's a fun an intriguing concept.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    I think there's a few NSF-sponsored research programs for undergrads (generally called REUs) which throw all students accepted into the program into one dorm together. I was at UC Irvine's program where they did it, and it was definitely a plus since I wound up meeting my girlfriend (now of three years) there.
  • toadstooltoadstool Posts: 1,145Registered User Senior Member
    As parent desperately searching for housing for a student in a prestigous government internship that does not provide housing, could I suggest that responders not make light of this issue.

We are in a panic; the internship is 3 weeks away and NOTHING. D may need to back out. Short-term housing in some areas is incredibly hard to find.