Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What can you Really do with an Economic degree?

UGAdawg87UGAdawg87 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
I was just wondering what can you really do if you have an economics degree? Is it still possible to go into the finance industry?
Post edited by UGAdawg87 on

Replies to: What can you Really do with an Economic degree?

• jonahrubinjonahrubin Posts: 547Registered User Member
    You should probably tell us what school you are going to and what GPA you have(or expect).

With a 4.0 in Economics from MIT you can go anywhere.

With a 3.0 in Economics from University of Phoenix you can super-size my #4.
  • commentcommentcommentcomment Posts: 733Registered User Member
    Most economics majors end up in Finance/Business/Economic/Accounting jobs or they go to grad school.
    You cannot get a job in accounting with an economics degree.
  • pkp20pkp20 Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
  • Sherman8r44Sherman8r44 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    Economics majors being taken for accounting jobs is very, very very, VERY rare. Unless you've actually taken accounting courses, rarely included in the econ major, there's a 95% chance you won't get the job just on account of your major.
    Maybe bookkeeping. I was an economics major prior to being an accounting major, and took all the classes anyone with an economics major is *required* to take(i.e. Intermediate Micro and Macro, statistics, but still had lots of advanced electives to take). I didn't know the difference between a debit and a credit. Obviously if I had taken a bunch of accounting classes also then I could've gotten a job doing some kind of non-public accounting without a CPA, but that's it. You can get a job being a bookkeeper without even bothering with college at all.
  • anatolyanatoly Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    my understanding is that econ majors generally hate accounting and vice versa
  • pkp20pkp20 Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
    My friend graduated from duke with an econ degree a couple of years ago and he got an offer from an accounting firm. they also paid for him to get his masters of accountancy which he finished up this year. I don't know how likely it is to be able to do this but I can say that I know a real case of a person getting an econ degree and going into accounting.
  • derivativexderivativex Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    There are different jobs at accounting firms, especially the Big 4 and other large firms. Some economists do work at accounting firms. But that doesn't mean if you major in economics you can get a job being an accountant. That is like saying that you majored in biology and work as a nurse.
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 3,075Registered User Senior Member
    The federal government has lots of Economist positions. Go to USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site and search for "economist". Entry jobs require a bachelor's degree and have a promotion potential to GS-12 within 3 years. Agencies hiring economists include the Departments of Labor, Treasury, Homeland Security, Agriculture and Transportation, among others.
  • jdp349jdp349 Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    I'm doing quite while with my econ degree carving out a niche in the entertainment/television industry. So far I've interned with Time Warner and NBC Universal. I have an interviews lined up with MTV Networks, HBO, ABC, and possible Nielsen Media Research. I've been working more in the production management end so far, but am branching more into business development/audience research.

We'll see though what happens when it comes to finding a full time position. Nielsen Media Research has a two year program that looks like a pretty amazing launching pad for a career.
  • TheDadTheDad Posts: 10,219Registered User, ! Senior Member
    My D has a friend with a BA in Econ who is working with a boutique IB firm in NYC fwiw.
  • ag54ag54 Posts: 2,909Registered User Senior Member
    I had a degree in economics, with a business minor (only took one accounting class and hated it ;)), and was hired as a gas accountant at a large oil company in their pipeline division. This was back in the 80's :)

My son just graduated with a double major - econ/English and was hired in commercial banking.
  • jyber209jyber209 Posts: 653Registered User Member
    My D, with an undergrad degree in economics from an LAC, had several job offers roughly three years ago. She accepted one with an economic consulting firm (got the job in part because of her fluency in Spanish, which was helpful dealing with their clients in Latin America). D has had excellent mentoring. This past fall she spoke on a panel at their conference -- the only employee under the level of director to do so. Her top boss is frequently interviewed by the media these days re the current economic stiuation. It has been a wonderful first job experience for her.

She has decided, however, to go to grad school in applied economics at this point, feeling that she needs the graduate degree to go further in her field. She is interested in eventually doing something in public policy.

See Jobs - Am I Eligible for the Young Professionals Program? for one idea (World Bank Young Professionals Program).