Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

What are my chances of getting into an Ivy? (Sorry)

cccmccccccmccc Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I will be applying to vanderbilt early decision for fall 2018. I am a white female from Arkansas.
ACT composite - 35
ACT math - 34
ACT english - 35
ACT reading - 36
ACT science - 35
AP classes taken - AP human geography, AP biology, AP world history, AP physics C mechanics, AP calculus AB, AP English Literature, AP Statistics, AP United States History
AP classes will take - AP psychology, AP English Language, AP calculus BC, AP physics C e&m, AP Chemistry, AP art history
---I have gotten all As in these classes so far and 4s or 5s on the tests
class rank - I expect to be 1 out of ~ 800

extracurriculars- Varsity Volleyball 2 years, Varsity Bowling 3 years, Community Lesion for HOSA, National Honors Society, President of Math Club

Replies to: What are my chances of getting into an Ivy? (Sorry)

• xxluvforeverxxxxluvforeverxx Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Vanderbilt is not an Ivy League School, but it's still very selective. Your ACT score, classes, and ranking are very competitive; however, your ECs are lacking. Do you do anything outside of school like volunteer work or internships? What activities show your passion? Do you have any awards? Other than that, just made sure your essays and teacher recommendations are good and you are on your way to becoming a competitive applicant.
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    If you apply to Vandy ED successfully, then you will have ZERO chance of getting into an Ivy. Because, a). Vandy is not an Ivy, b) ED is binding, which means that once they admit you cannot go anywhere else.
    But your stats are good. Given that you are from Arkansas you should have a very good shot at the most selective schools, including Ivies and Vandy. Good luck!
  • moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 789 Member
    Are you a NMF? Based on EC's I would say Vandy is a good shot but Ivy would be a long shot.
  • cccmccccccmccc Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I will be a NMF, yes.
  • Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    edited June 20
    Why do people with perfect stats asked to be "chanced"? Is this just a humblebrag?
    I would say very high chances to Vandy but you may want to look into other schools as a NMF which may offer great packages. Due to EC's Ivy isn't likely...not to mention I don't see AP Foreign Language.
  • David KwentuaDavid Kwentua Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @muad_dib :)) I know right. Haha.. All the time
  • cccmccccccmccc Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I was actually curious because I didn't know if the weak ECs would outweigh the academic achievements.
    For some colleges yes...Ivy no.