Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Have any questions?

18910111214»

Replies to: Have any questions?

• MotherOfTwoMotherOfTwo Registered User Posts: 2,110 Senior Member
    I would assume you can still buy from the bookstore without making a deposit. It is likely just a convenience for parents who want to put a certain amount of money in an account in the bookstore. Any person can go into the bookstore and buy books or anything else with cash, check, or credit card, I would imagine.
  • MolBioAce06MolBioAce06 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    I use my credit card because I have to pay for my own books. I know other students buy their books online etc. However, there are some issues with shipping(not in time for class use), so be sure to pay for expedited delivery.
  • HinJewHinJew Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    My first year I had the bookstore account, and since I bought all my books used online, I didn't "need" the account and wasted my parent's hard-earned money on food and Kenyon clothing. Sophomore year, I didn't have a bookstore account, and everything worked out fine as you can buy books (and anything else) at the bookstore with a student account, cash, check, credit card...
  • carlshakecarlshake Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    The Kenyon Bookstore and the Textbook department are two different things, as far as i know. You can have an account at one without having one at the other. If you are looking to save money or spend wisely then i would suggest not getting a book store account. My friends call bookstore money "monopoly money" and tend not excerise restraint.

As for getting the textbooks, the text department is the best bet. They have to have all the books needed but it usually doesnt come cheap because professor seem to love new editions. you only learn what books you need on the first day of class and unless you overnight the books, you could fall a little behind. At the beginning and end of each semester, students use the emails as a sort of market selling and buying used textbooks which can be a good source of cheap books.
  • HinJewHinJew Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Carlshake is right about everything except one point -- the money you have in your bookstore account is the same account as what is used when buying textbooks.

As far as falling behind when purchasing used books, it is not a problem if you think ahead as I have done for the past 2 years. Simply email the professors for your potential classes during orientation with their reading lists, that way you can order your books before classes start. Once you have a semester under your belt and you know your classes months in advance, you can get in touch with your professors very early for a reading list. My professors have always been very helpful, providing me with the titles and what editions they are.
18910111214»
This discussion has been closed.