Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dirty dorm

MinkyMinky Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2009 in Lafayette College
My son is an orientation counselor, and we moved him in today. I can't believe how dirty his dorm was. It seems that there was a camp in there this summer, but they moved out on Aug. 13, 10 days ago. For $50k per year, I would expect a clean dorm on day one.

There was dust, dirt, and hair in the halls, common areas, and his room. The bathrooms were a mess, not one rug was vacuumed, and all the waste baskets were overflowing. What a shame.
Post edited by Minky on

Replies to: Dirty dorm

• jyber209jyber209 Posts: 653Registered User Member
    My S moved in yesterday (activity related) and his room was very clean. But his dorm may not have housed a camp over the summer.

It may just be an administrative slip or a staff scheduling problem. Would your son be comfortable contacting someone about this so it can be addressed? I can't believe things would be left this way for freshman move-in (should not be left this way for any move-in, IMO).
  • sarahipposarahippo Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Which dorm was dirty? We had the same experience last year - room was full of dust and dirt and obviously not cleaned. I was hoping it would change for this year.
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 Posts: 2,394Registered User Senior Member
    We also moved our daughter in on Monday. Her suite and bathroom were very clean. She is in Watson and I don't think it was used for summer programs but I could be wrong. I agree that someone slipped up for whatever reason. Your son should see the RA or someone in residential life about this ASAP if he has not done so already.
  • GasdocGasdoc Posts: 652Registered User Member
    Moved our daughter into McKeen today...very smooth process and the dorm itself appeared to be well maintained and was very clean.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,518Registered User Senior Member
    DS is living in a frat this year.... Lord only knows what it looked like when he moved in, ha ha! (I didn't see it, he drove himself back to campus.)

But in his previous 2 years his dorm was clean at move-in time.