Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

LSAT score of 155

leanidleanid Posts: 1,659Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2010 in Law School
Where could one hope to be admitted with a LSAT score of 155 and maybe a 3.0 gpa?
Post edited by leanid on

Replies to: LSAT score of 155

• jonrijonri Posts: 5,237Registered User Senior Member
    Go to www.lsac.org. and use the search tool for ugpa & LSAT.
    If this works, it will take you directly to it. http://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx
  • leanidleanid Posts: 1,659Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you, jonri, much appreciated.
  • parentstwoparentstwo Posts: 187Registered User Junior Member
    Law school predictor works very nicely, too.

Law School Predictor
  • Patriot1208Patriot1208 Posts: 441Registered User Member
    You don't want to go to law school.
  • walteral1990walteral1990 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    @Patriot: You come to this conclusion by looking at two numbers? I understand your logic, but I think you may be a bit hasty. You fail to consider other factors such as opportunity cost and love for the study of law. OP could be a English Literature major from Cal-State Dominguez-Hills, and have no viable career plan after graduation. Yeah he/she could teach but that's not for everyone, nor is it always stable. I personally would rather have another lawyer than an apathetic teacher. Or, he/she may realize that that he/she didn't perform to his/her ability and wants another chance at success.
    Don't be a stick-in-the-mud, Patriot, you know as well as I do that those numbers could get one accepted at some good law schools -- not top 14, obviously, but decent schools nonetheless.

It should be noted that the score of 155 was a first-time full, practice test. Any idea how much higher one could hope to achieve with diligent preparation?
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Posts: 3,572Registered User Senior Member
    Top Law Schools will prove more helpful for you.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Posts: 11,964Registered User Senior Member
    Whoa, Slate just published a summary article of some of the complaints that have been floating around the Internet:
    Law schools are manufacturing more lawyers than America needs, and law students aren't happy about it. - By Annie Lowrey - Slate Magazine
  • walteral1990walteral1990 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    OK, I realize that there may be too many prospective lawyers in law schools and UGs across the country. That point has become abundantly clear to me. Currently a lot of my classmates are scurrying around, trying to get their applications for various law schools together. Kids who don't like reading or writing are throwing their hats into the law school ring. But what alternative do these people have? Yeah sure, they could become teachers or Starbucks baristas, often such is the fate of a of state-school social sciences graduate. Although I know most of you would never be in that situation, what would you do if you were?

I realize that it is a gamble, but what is to say OP can't redeem him or herself in law school and have a comfortable life?
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Posts: 11,964Registered User Senior Member
    what is to say OP can't redeem him or herself in law school and have a comfortable life?

Nothing, although there are many indicators that it's pretty unlikely.

On the other hand, this particular lottery ticket costs about $180,000.
  • NeonzeusNeonzeus Posts: 1,234Registered User Senior Member
    We can't assume that OP has no financial resources and would be borrowing the full ticket, or that OP doesn't have a state school available that might offer a lower tuition. We can't assume that OP won't do better on the LSAT and then choose to go to a law school where that score might give OP a scholarship. We can't assume that OP would need to borrow the cost of living in addition to tuition. We don't know whether OP views an investment of three years of tuition as a reasonable investment for 40 years of a satisfying career.

We also can't assume that every law school candidate wants to work in the major metropolitan areas (NY, Chicago, etc.) and earn six figures as a drone in BigLaw. My kid dreams of working in our home town, where he's been able to network heavily. I'm currently working on a project on which some biglaw associates (1-3 yr) are in the corner...ordering our meals, running for copies, turning the pages of the document on the screen, etc. I think it's unlikely that they find their work as fulfilling as the small firm young-lawyer who may already be taking depositions, writing wills for their neighbors and appearing at zoning board hearings. Sure, they will be able to say that they worked on this deal, but everyone will know that they didn't do anything substantive. On the other hand, if they survive they'll probably have a chance to do real work on some of these deals in the future. Different strokes for different folks.

While the majority of law students may be delusional, let's have at least a little faith that some of them are smart enough to do the research, the math and their own career planning. I don't care if it's teaching, accounting, journalism or law, getting a job and paying student loans is really hard. There are some undergraduate institutions and many other graduate programs that leave students with massive amounts of debt and no job guarantees. It's reasonable to point out that legal jobs are very scare and salaries aren't as high as naive students might expect, but the constant DOOM IS HERE stuff is tiresome.

Students at my kid's non-T14 are getting jobs, but they have to work a lot harder for them, have good resumes and grades, and present themselves well. The majority of starting salaries are closer to $60-70K than six figure positions, but each year there are a few at the top of the class who get six figure salaries. There are also a few who find $40K jobs. What else is new?
  • lskinnerlskinner Posts: 914Registered User Member
    We can't assume that OP has no financial resources and would be borrowing the full ticket,

Surely it's reasonable to assume that the OP would have to borrow most or all of the tuition to attend law school. What is the percentage of people with the financial resources to simply attend law school to enrich themselves with little or no concern for debt and job prospects? It must be very very small.

It seems to me that for the vast majority of people with 155 LSAT scores, attending law school is a bad idea.
    the constant DOOM IS HERE stuff is tiresome.

In the past few years, there has been a huge disconnect between the conventional wisdom of attending law school and the reality. Until that gap narrows, "DOOM IS HERE" speeches are arguably sensible.
  • taxguytaxguy Posts: 6,537Registered User Senior Member
    I am not going to comment on the plethora of lawyers. Your 155 score will get you into plenty of fine law schools such as John Marshall Law school, Stetson, University of Baltimore, Syracuse University, Quinnipiac, University of Richmond, Elon,University of Dayton with money, etc. You even have a shot at University of Miami and Penn State. Write a good personal statement, and you will be accepted at many places.
  • NeonzeusNeonzeus Posts: 1,234Registered User Senior Member
    lsskinner- I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but I've seen a different world now that my kid is actually in law school. A surprising number of his fellow students come from families with professional parents, senior managers, etc. They brag that they don't have loans. In two cases, grandparents are footing the bills and in one case it's an in-law. While I guess that the majority still borrow big bucks, I'm not as sure of it anymore.

It also sounds like many law students have a lawyer in the family. I've wondered if the same dynamic applies to engineering students (engineer in the family), medical students (doctor in the family) etc. Of course, we all have a doctor in the House (pun intended), and lawyers on our tvs, giving us tremendous valuable insight into these careers. I've wondered how many people can't wait to enter a career in marketing as a result of watching Office. I clearly have much too much time on my hands... Loved that YouTube Video "So You Want to Go to Law School" linked by SallyAwp, by the way. It's been circulating among the law students on Facebook and is a big hit.
    Thank you, taxguy, your thoughts are much closer to reality than some of the other posters who look on 155 and a 3.0 (a B average) as if they were failing marks.

While I undertsand the concern implied that an applicant with that score and gpa -- and without substantial financial resources -- would likely find it difficult to get on with life after law school, being burderned with heavy debt and a salary which wouldn't allow a reasonable pay off schedule, the question was not about the future, it was about where one could expect to be admitted to study law. So, thanks but no thanks to those future solicitors for their unsolicited advice.