Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

easiest law school to get in

seniorstudentseniorstudent Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited December 2009 in Law School
I'm a senior in college and just returned after being suspended for a year due to my poor grades. I plan on applying to law school next year so that they can see my grades from this year. However, the highest gpa i can possibly get after get straight A's from now on is just about a 2.3. I've taken practice lsats and have gotten in the 170's consistently. I've improved in my grades and have turned around, however it has only been one semester and am afraid that no law school will even look at me with my record. I've looked at all the indexes and have seen the schools with the lowest gpa acceptances however none of them are as low as mine will be. However, i have also seen that the lsats from those schools are significantly lower than mine. My poor grades were due to bouts of depression and coping with an eating disorder which i have recovered from however everyday is a struggle. I'm not sure if i should include this in my personal statement seeing as how im not sure whether or not it will help me or hurt me. Another reason that i'd rather not share is that i've never sought medical help and have had my family help me instead. I'm very worried about my chances of getting into law school, and if i can get any feedback as to what people think or if anyone knows of someone in a similar situation as i am it would be of great help. Please right back. Thank You
Post edited by seniorstudent on

Replies to: easiest law school to get in

• allenaallena Posts: 1,716Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe a couple years of work experence would help you.
  • GreybeardGreybeard Posts: 2,355Registered User Senior Member
    The Thomas M. Cooley Law School in East Lansing Michigan is ABA accredited. Eligibility for admission is based predominantly on a formula (the LSAT score, plus fifteen times your undergraduate GPA, subject to a minimum LSAT score of 145). The cut-off next year is 185. If you scored 170 on the LSAT, even a 1.0 GPA would be sufficient. A 2.0 would put you over the cut-off by 15 points.

Not everyone who makes the cut-off is admitted, but I believe most are.

It seems likely that a high LSAT score can get you admitted to one or more law schools, somewhere, particularly if you do turn your grades around completely at this point. I'd like to caution you, however, that law school is not a good place to go to continue the process of getting healthier and stronger. Law school (particularly the first year) is designed to be something of a boot camp for the profession. Many law schools operate as though it's part of their function to dissuade significant numbers of their students from continuing their quest to enter the legal profession.

It's a profession whose gate-keepers expect people to take on a hundred thousand dollars or more in debt to graduate from law school, to qualify for an examination to practice law that 36% of them (on average) will fail.

You deserve a lot of credit for finding the strength to get off to such a good start on the road back to being healthy. I'd strongly recommend that you don't hurry that process unnecessarily. Law school will still be there in a few years if you decide to do it. It's best to make sure you have considerable reserves of strength before taking it on.
  • seniorstudentseniorstudent Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should include/exclude in my personal statement regarding my situation? Thanks!
  • 311Griff311Griff Posts: 1,586Registered User Senior Member
    maybe down the lines of knowing the reality of the statement, "Never, ever, ever, ever give up." Depression is a valid reason to give up...a number of ivy leaguers, even, fall victim to depression and give up, not only on school, but on their life.
  • ariesathenaariesathena Posts: 5,021Registered User Senior Member
    I completely agree with Greybeard.

Law school will exacerbate every single bad thing in your life. Trust me on this one. While the work isn't hard, the process is designed to be incredibly stressful. 75% of lawyers have major problems with alcohol. It is not a profession to enter unless you are strong, mature, and at a very stable point in your life. "Good enough to get through now" is not good enough to get through law school.

Please take a few years off to work andperhaps go to night school to demonstrate that you are very capable of academic excellence before applying to law school.

As for your personal statement... it should not be about your condition. That's what an addendum is for - write a supplemental essay on the problems that you faced, if you feel you must address that issue.

I wrote an addendum about some (certainly not all) of the problems that I faced in college. For me, I chose to limit my addendum to my medical problems (tumor, bad car accident right before finals, etc) and one miscellaneous issue (course timing) because I didn't want admissions committees to make decisions based on their prejudices. If they want to be prejudiced against someone with chronic pain - fine - but I didn't want other "issues" being the basis for evaluation.

I chose to write my addendum to include only those issues that did not reflect upon my character (unless one believes that karma brought this upon me) or my mental stability. I also chose to only include issues that would not cause problems with law school - i.e. nothing that would make anyone question my ability to get through the mental hell that can be law school.

Although you can't exclude the mental part of what you went through, you can present it in whatever light you would like. I would really suggest discussing not just the problems, but when you solved them and what you are going to do to ensure that law school will be different.

Finally - the best advice I can give you is to not graduate college.

Yes, you read that right. If it's at all financially feasible, take a second major, a joint degree, or whatever - but don't get out of undergrad quite yet.

Another year of very solid grades will do wonders for your GPA. Summer classes, wherever they are taken, are factored into your GPA for the purposes of law school admissions - so take easy summer classes somewhere.

Make it your job to find out exactly how law admissions people calculate GPA, evaluate GPA, and make it your job to use that to your advantage. Stay an extra year. Do summer classes (before graduation, so they still go into UGPA). Go to professors from courses that you did very badly in and ask if there is any way that they can (if you got better than a C-) change it to a "pass," or, regardless of how you did, if you can make up work and improve those bad grades. Some schools, if you re-take a course, will average the two grades together.

Consider those options.

Finally - go to law school at night. Part-time students aren't factored into a law school's GPA and LSAT calculations for USNews.
  • caliphariuscalipharius Posts: 456Registered User Member
    "mental hell"? Is it really that bad?
  • MasteroDMasteroD Posts: 115Registered User Junior Member
    lol to the above

srsly u guyz
  • tifaniatifania Posts: 189Registered User Junior Member
    Law school will exacerbate every single bad thing in your life. Trust me on this one. While the work isn't hard, the process is designed to be incredibly stressful. 75% of lawyers have major problems with alcohol. It is not a profession to enter unless you are strong, mature, and at a very stable point in your life. "Good enough to get through now" is not good enough to get through law school.
    WOW i didn't know law school was that difficult???
    The law students here at Berkeley don't appear all that stressed! I know some personally, and was told that law school is less stressful than undergrad (at least at my school) because they don't try to flunk people out, the lowest grade given is usually a C, whereas undergrads here are frequently flunked out in weeder courses.

So, is it really mental hell?
  • jonrijonri Posts: 5,195Registered User Senior Member
    "75% of lawyers have major problems with alcohol."

I get the ABA stats--the % of attorneys with alcohol problems is high--much higher than the general US population--but it is NOWHERE near 75%.

It's actually higher for female than male attorneys, BTW. But even among women, it's NOT 75%. According to the ABA, it's not even one-half that amount..in fact, it's substantially less than one-half.

If you have any source for your outrageous claim, post it.
  • concerneddadconcerneddad Posts: 1,734Moderator Senior Member
    No, I do not think that law school is planned hell. While the Socratic method can be painful at times, I did not find the process all that stressful. But, there is a lot of reading, and the stakes are raised by the infrequency of exams.

But, if you do your reading, brief your cases, and do what succesfully got you accepted to law school, you will do fine.
  • tifaniatifania Posts: 189Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks concerneddad!!!
    I feel a lot better!
    I'm sure I'm not the only one! =)
  • concerneddadconcerneddad Posts: 1,734Moderator Senior Member
    Your welcome. As I found out, the key is to just be yourself, work hard, and carve out some time for "play." I was married, worked fulltime, and went to school at night 9both college and law school). But, Friday night was "date night" with my wife come heck or high water (finals periods excluded).
  • ThomasH32ThomasH32 Posts: 731Registered User Member
    Do any of you think it's a little easier to get into law school by applying to their part-time/evening programs, or do you feel it's just as competitive as the full-time, day programs?
  • autumnstinkautumnstink Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    The minimum LSAT is actually a 143 for regular admission. A 145 is the minimum if you are applying with special consideration.
  • Shiboing BoingShiboing Boing Posts: 321Registered User Member
    Law school is not hell at Berkeley or Yale where they do not give failing grades (but don't give a lot of great grades either). However, if you are a very Alpha-type person you will likely want, nay need, to make law review and land a great clerkship or job. As such, the work can be very straining.

In addition, it is rare for anyone to attend a school with easy grading practices which are mostly in the top 10. Most law schools are not theoretical and do not weed out as throughly in the admissions process so you have to continue to work hard at lower tier schools because you need to do well to land any sort of good job.