Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Harvard Law or Duke Law?

guitars101guitars101 Posts: 2,196Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Law School
full pay at Harvard Law or possibility of full tuition at Duke Law?

not sure what is best in terms of earning potential in the future...
Post edited by guitars101 on

Replies to: Harvard Law or Duke Law?

• guitars101guitars101 Posts: 2,196Registered User Senior Member
    oops, I mean full tuition scholarship at Duke Law
  • saman42saman42 Posts: 565Registered User Member
    Duke, without a doubt. Is a Harvard JD more valuable than one from Duke? Perhaps. Is it $150,000 more valuable? Not a chance in hell.

Have fun at Duke.
  • QuantumMarcusQuantumMarcus Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    IMO, of course Harvard. We're talking about HLS vs lower t14 here, and it's only the "possibility" of full tuition at Duke according to the OP.

And saman42, it looks like from your profile you're a high school senior. How can you make such a strong claim?
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,286Registered User Senior Member
    Depends on your interests. There is no doubt that HLS will give you a huge advantage when applying for federal clerkships. Plus, HLS has a fantastic loan forgiveness program. Don't make much money? No problem. H will absorb the loans after xx years.
  • IvyPBearIvyPBear Posts: 917Registered User Member
    Harvard. If it's Harvard vs. Hamilton at Columbia/Rubenstein at UChicago, then the decision becomes a little tougher, though I still think Harvard has the advantage.
  • HereWeGo2HereWeGo2 Posts: 259Registered User Junior Member
    Where do you want to practice & how certain is the "full ride" at Duke? If mid-Atlantic (MD/DC) or SE US, and the money from Duke is pretty solid, I'd go to Duke. If NE, NY, or anywhere-in-US biggest of big law, and/or the money isn't that certain, Harvard.

IANAL (how many are in this forum?), but I have a difficult time valuing a JD from Harvard as worth additional $120-$150K over the next 3 years vs. Duke.
  • crankyoldmancrankyoldman Posts: 292Registered User Junior Member
    Nobody beats the Harvard name-but a full free ride from Duke? Go to Duke. That said, the devil is in the details-what strings are attached to the Duke offer? That will make all the difference.
  • kwukwu Posts: 4,759Registered User Senior Member
    Hamilton from Columbia? Yes.
    Rubenstein from Chicago? Yes.
    An Bryce from NYU? Yes.

Duke? lol...

Well, in this economy, it's hard to say. Take what you can get.
  • goldenboy8784goldenboy8784 Posts: 1,698Registered User Senior Member
    IvyPBear wrote:
    Harvard. If it's Harvard vs. Hamilton at Columbia/Rubenstein at UChicago, then the decision becomes a little tougher, though I still think Harvard has the advantage.
    You've got to be kidding me. Thanks for the laugh! I think Chicago's been beating out Harvard in Big Law placement these past few years by the way.;)