Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

YOU ARE ALL INSIGHTFUL. please read.

BlueBananasBlueBananas Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited April 2012 in Law School
Hey guys,
Long time lurker. First time user.
A little background about myself:

Currently a Junior at Baruch College
GPA - 3.0 (Yeah, I know. Terrible.)
Major - Real Estate
Minor - English

Work Experience -
I got my real estate license out of high school. It's been almost three years since than and I will be getting my broker's license this summer while studying for the LSAT. I mostly do rentals.
Started my first business at the age of 19. I sold ice cream at a mall and had two kiosks. Under my command I had 9 employees. Closed in 2011 though. Unfortunately, ice cream is seasonal and rent was to high. Now 20, I've started a property management company. Business is good and improving. No need for employees yet, but I'm getting there. For 21, not sure yet what I want to do, but maybe a non-profit. We'll see. Oh, also if it makes any difference I'm a notary. Not sure it that makes any difference or something worth putting on a resume, but I have a cool stamp with my name on it, lol.

Volunteer Experience-
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer and I do cleaning/maintenance/play the prelude/postlude at the church I go to. Lot of volunteer experience in high school, but not sure if that counts.

Now my question is, assuming I do well on the LSAT, lets say 170 (nothing more, nothing less), do I have any possible shot at a T-14 school? Maybe more so in the NY area? I know my GPA is terrible, but I just recently got into LSN and it seems that there are those lucky few who do end up making it in. I like to think that I have an OK resume. I know it lacks internships, but that's mainly because I spent my summers working. Owning business can get very time consuming especially when something goes wrong. Ideal schools would be either Columbia or NYU or if I worked a bit longer and developed my property management company for a few more years I hear Northwestern is good for business.

What do I need to improve besides, of course, my GPA? Do I need stellar letters of recommendation? Awards? More volunteer work? Lol, I'm really not sure. OR should I just work on getting a perfect 180?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(On a side note, I don't know if I'd bother with law school unless I did actually have a good chance at getting into a T-14, but of course I know that all depends heavily on my LSAT score.)
Post edited by BlueBananas on

Replies to: YOU ARE ALL INSIGHTFUL. please read.

• YaleAlumnusYaleAlumnus Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    With 170, ED UVA. Otherwise, you don't have a good shot a T14.

Improve your GPA and practice the LSAT. That's all.
  • LaBarristerLaBarrister Posts: 168Registered User Junior Member
    I second what YaleAlumnus said. Do not waste any more time worrying and follow those two steps.
  • GreybeardGreybeard Posts: 2,355Registered User Senior Member
    I read a couple of years ago that 166 was the average LSAT score for students who did their undergraduate work at Harvard. It was lower for every other school in the country.