Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Age Limit for Law School

moonmoon Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited February 2005 in Law School
Do law schools admit older students? I have heard of people starting law school at 30. Do law schools accept students who are 50 or older?
Post edited by moon on

Replies to: Age Limit for Law School

• concerneddadconcerneddad Posts: 1,734Moderator Senior Member
    yes, they do
  • ariesathenaariesathena Posts: 5,009Registered User Senior Member
    The oldest person in my class is 47.
  • vicks546vicks546 Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
    Hey ariesathena, out of curiosity, what is the age of the youngest person in your class?
    youth is not an impediment to going to law school, but many states require that you be 21 before being admitted to the bar.
    I'm a first year - and the answer to your question is 20.
  • GreybeardGreybeard Posts: 2,355Registered User Senior Member
    A friend of mine had a law school classmate who was 70 years old. Boalt Hall awards its "Joannie Caucus scholarship" to a female returning student (named for the Doonsbury character who went to Boalt in the strip); my year, it was awarded to a former kindergarden teacher.
  • anoviceanovice Posts: 1,376Registered User Senior Member
    I didn't realize there was an age requirement on the bar... I'll be 19 when I would take the exam if I did it right out of undergrad(assuming I graduate in 4 years). Do you know of a list for the states requirements?

Thanks.
    To take the bar at age 19, you would have to have graduated undergrad at 16, then started law school then. Is that your situation?
    The age limit to be admitted into practice in California is 18.
    The age limit to be admitted into practice in New York is 21.
    The age limit in New Jersey is 18.
  • thinkingoutloudthinkingoutloud Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
    It sort of surprises me that some young law graduate has not filed suit to challenge stupid age requirements for admission to the bar. There is no reason to require a law student to wait until he or she is 21 to practice law. I guess there are not many 20 year old law school graduates to serve as plaintiffs.
  • CardozoCardozo Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not sure it's stupid to desire some basic maturity before people are allowed to practice law -- a position of often great responsibility. We don't let people drink until they're 21, and we don't let them rent cars until they're 25. I don't care how bright someone is, I don't really want Doogie Howser making important legal decisions.
    Young people are not by virtue of their age deemed to be members of a "protected class" under constitutional law. It is accordingly constitutional to enact laws that discriminate against them, as long as there is a rational basis for doing so. The U.S. Constitution includes a number of age limits - the age limit for voting (lowered from 21 to 18 by amendment), the age limit for being a U.S. Representative (25), a Senator (30), and President or Vice President (35).
    The one person I know who was in that position simply worked as a legal researcher for the state attorney general's office until becoming a member of the bar. He had a incredibly successful career.