Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Law Degree with an Undergrad Degree in Accounting/Finance?

Dilo26386Dilo26386 Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2012 in Law School
I've heard of a JD/MBA and have a pretty good understanding of what it entails. That being said, if I only had interest in going to law school after my undergrad, what sort of careers would I be looking at if I obtained a law degree along with an undergrad degree in accounting/finance. I was told that I could become a tax attorney, which intrigues me a bit.

Also, with regards to the LSATs, are there some courses that I should take, or literature I should be reading to prepare me for them? Or are they somewhat like the SATs, in that it's basically all general knowledge material?
Post edited by Dilo26386 on

Replies to: Law Degree with an Undergrad Degree in Accounting/Finance?

• razorsharprazorsharp Posts: 5,961Registered User Senior Member
    With a law degree you can practice tax law with a law firm (assuming you pass the bar). You don't need anything else.

With a law degree and an undergraduate degree in accounting and you pass the CPA exam, you can practice tax law with a law firm, or with an accounting firm. (Tax accountants are actually practicing tax law, they just don't call it the practice of law).

An MBA won't make that much difference in tax practice. An undergraduate degree in finance won't make much difference in tax practice.

If you really are interested in tax practice, you can get an undergraduate degree in accounting, get a JD, and then get an LLM in taxation. If you did this, you would be an expert's expert.
  • MBJMBJ Posts: 706Registered User Member
    I am an attorney and a CPA. Did undergrad as an accounting major, worked for a CPA firm, then went to law school, practiced mainly doing civil litigation.
    Not too much tax stuff. After going to law school, I realized that accounting ( basically counting someone else's money ) was not my thing so I pretty much avoided thinks like tax law, etc... Overall though, can't go wrong with an accounting undergrad degree. Best of luck.
  • aranmatheusaranmatheus Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    I am in the same situation that Dilo was in. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2011 with an Accounting degree; however, I want to know my options/routes I can take. As MBJ said, I do not really think counting other people's money would be something that would really challenge my mind and I could get bored. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thank you. Aran Matheus - LinkedIn
  • thegreenshinobithegreenshinobi Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    I am also interested in doing undergrad acct. with a possible law degree...does anyone else have any input on this?
  • ShinjaShinja Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    to GeenShinobi AKA MidoriShinobi if you're interested in "Things Japanese" I can tell you that there is no substitute for going to and living in the Host Country. If you want to add something else to your Accounting degree I suggest Japanese, I got a call from New York offering me a job even before I started College. A Law Degree is always a good thing to have even if for no other reason there is someone who can head off trouble before it happens. If you already speak Nihogo, then go Itchuksen-Jo.