Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

undergrad law

Replies to: undergrad law

• M1L17M1L17 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    The attorney I work for says that studying for her paralegal degree and then working for a lawyer helped prepare her for law school...
  • syncastarsyncastar Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    That is something I don't understand. Because I mean students can prepare to go to med-school by becoming either science/math major and do well on the MCAT. Students can prepare for B-school by studying either econ/business, few years of work experience, and do well on GMAT. However that doesn't work out with students who wants to get into law. If you ask me US seems to support medicine & business more than law.

Those saying going into pre-law isn't good it's a bunch of bs if you ask me. There's some undergrad b-schools and they prepare students for the work field & real b-school itself more so than normal universities. Don't give me that crap of how pre-law is lender useless because it's not! I believe it prepares students for work field (paralegals) & real law school. So folks don't get discourage because if you want to study law for 7 years by means go for it, don't let anyone hold you back!!!
  • unbelievablemunbelievablem Registered User Posts: 1,185 Senior Member
    syncastar -- and what is the basis of your conclusion? have you taken pre-law courses and then attended law school? if you give some more information, perhaps people here will be able to judge your credibility.

my posts are based on my personal experiences as a former attorny -- ie, i have attended law school and practiced law (and worked with and known many others who have done so also). and as an undergraduate took "pre-law" courses offered by my college.

anyone here is of course free to ignore the advise of those of us who have "been there done that" -- people often have to learn things for themselves. but i do think it helps people if they know the basis for poster's conclusions so that they can at least judge its credibility.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    The other thing that syncastar seems not to understand is that premeds don't HAVE to major in biology or a science -- and in fact, they seem to perform a little more poorly when they do. Business majors don't have to major in business -- and in fact, engineers are one of the most common majors in business schools. Premeds can major in anthropology, sociology, economics... business-school candidates can major in engineering, math, chemistry.

In fact, the only major medical schools dislike is "pre-med" or another specialized health science (nursing, pharmacy, etc.) So the comparison doesn't just not apply -- it's actually incorrect to begin with.
  • TriguenaTriguena Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    Syncastar, are you a lawyer? You are completely wrong on so many points. Previous posters that state that law schools dislike undergrad "pre-law" as a major are right on point.

Maybe your point Syncastar is for people that want to be paralegals (as a final profession, not as an interim step b/t college and law school)? If that is true MAYBE there is some value in a "pre-law" major. M1L17--what is a paralegal degree??? Never heard of it.

If you want to go to law school the most important thing is to be a good writer.
  • cnfusedjon99cnfusedjon99 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    hi im an incoming college freshman next year and i cant decide what courses to take that will eventually lead me to law school. I used to want to double major in ir and econ and maybe minor in philosophy or linguistics but now im wondering whether i should just take one major and just get a better grade in it

do law schools care about course load at all like undergrad admissions?

also do they care if i dont take any math or science classes in college? (excluding maybe an intro math id need to econ)
    also is it really important to get into activities like debate or newspaper or is it like as long as u do some ec its a wash?
  • krongmankrongman - Posts: 78 Junior Member
    law school ain't a "wash", bro. not even for your all-powerful (*snorts*) econ major.
    i mean is it important to do a lot of ecs or just as long as you do something law schools dont really care
  • TriForcesTriForces Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    krongman.....I agree
    Let see a ibanker write a contract for that billion dollar deal....Oh wait,they hire a lawyer to cover their ***.
  • BosqueBosque Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Just take the courses you want to. Law schools really don't care. They aren't lying when they all say that on their websites: it is true.

Personally, I think you should just major in something you would not mind holding a job in if, heaven forbid, you were not able to get into Law School for some reason. There is no reason to burn yourself out on studying past court cases before you get there, since they are just going to make you learn it all different anyway. I am a senior now, and I went with Electrical Engineering. If for some reason I am not able to go to law school next year, I will be fine. I have a major I can use to get a job I would be happy doing.

As everyone else has said, don't worry too much about what you are doing in undergraduate as it pertains to law school. As long as you are not in the fake major Pre-Law programs, it is very hard to screw things up for yourself.

Just please steer clear of the Pre-Law "major". It is not real, and it is only going to end badly for you.
  • RMS39RMS39 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    would an undergrad degree in education (major in science/history with an education add-on for high school) be a bad idea???? would admissions look upoin it poorly?
  • doug_7506doug_7506 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey, I am currently in Business Administration with a concentration in Pre-law. I plan on going into a joint degree program (JD/MBA) Should I drop the pre-law concentration?
    If you are interested here is my degree outline:
    http://www.nicholls.edu/finance/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/pre-law-06-07.pdf
  • toronto_guytoronto_guy Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    There is no best undergrad law...but some degrees are really an asset for law. CPA or MBA or Masters in Finance for business or securities law. Engineering/science for IP, psychology for criminal law. It does not mean that these are essentials, only significant assets.
  • Shah Rukh KhanShah Rukh Khan Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    what do you guys think about a rhetoric or econ major?
This discussion has been closed.