Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Columbia Vs NYU

endr678endr678 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited August 2010 in Law School
I was admitted to both Columbia and NYU, and I am looking for some way to tell the two schools apart. Their official stats are essentially the same, so I was wondering if anyone else here knew of more specific differences. I have heard that, generally speaking, NYU students are more liberal and interested in public service than Columbia students, but any other information (including whether or not that generalization is correct) about the students or the faculty would be really appreciated.
Post edited by endr678 on

Replies to: Columbia Vs NYU

• bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Posts: 11,964Registered User Senior Member
    Two impressions from my NYU tour last year.

1.) Other Prospective Student: "So, what don't you like about NYU?"
    Student #1: "Hm, that's hard to say. It really is a great place. Hey, what don't you like about NYU?"
    #2: (thinks for a moment) "I really can't think of anything!"
    #3: (passes by, calls out) "Everybody's liberal!"
    #1: "That's true, if you're not liberal --" and here she laughs a little, as if to say, how is that possible? -- "then you won't like it here."

2.) One of NYU's big selling points is that they're still a relatively young (in terms of energy) school, moving aggressively to improve. Their favorite example of this is that they recently convinced four Columbia professors to come to NYU as faculty, "something that would never have happened even just a few years ago." There are two ways to read this. One way -- NYU's preferred reading -- is that they're trying hard, and they're succeeding at aggressively moving to improve their school, actually at Columbia's expense. The second way, however, is that NYU still thinks of Columbia as the gold standard. These faculty must be excellent, NYU seemed to be saying. After all, they came from Columbia! It was rather an odd way to talk of improvement.
  • AmericanskiAmericanski Posts: 683Registered User Member
    Both schools are predominantly liberal and both send the vast majority of their grads to biglaw firms, though NYU does send more to public interest jobs. What NYU uses as a big selling point is also a drawback; their reputation has risen relatively recently, so older lawyers and lawyers in different parts of the country don't always see them as being on the same level as Columbia. One NYU student I knew said that the lawyers he talked to in Houston thought of NYU as a "top 10" school, not a "top 5" school.
  • kwukwu Posts: 4,759Registered User Senior Member
    One NYU student I knew said that the lawyers he talked to in Houston thought of NYU as a "top 10" school, not a "top 5" school.

As if the opinions of lawyers in Houston really mattered. *thrusts nose in air, raises monocle*

Neither school would be in my top 10, but my opinion does not carry as much weight as those of mysterious "lawyers" from Houston. Houston.

http://www.bcgsearch.com/pdf/BCG_Law_School_Guide_2009.pdf

79 percent of Columbia graduates go into private practice, 9 judicial clerkship.
    69 percent of NYU graduates go into private practice, 13 public interest, 12 judicial clerkship.
    One thing the results indicate is how little impact U.S. News rankings are having on where the firms choose to hire. [...] Although Columbia and NYU have been basically deadlocked in U.S. News for a decade now, the elite New York law firms continue to hire more from Columbia than NYU.

Top 15 Law Schools From Which Elite U.S. Law Firms Hire New Lawyers
  • mchllhcmmchllhcm Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    Columbia if housing means anything to you! I just found a large, single room summer sublet for $800/month in a 4 bedroom apartment! Only one other student is currently living there. Columbia housing is amazing!
    Most young people tend to prefer NYU's neighborhood (Greenwich Village) to Columbia's (Morningside Heights). NYU students generally argue that "If you're going to live in New York, you ought to live in New York, y'know?"

Of course, I'm not a huge fan of NYC in general, so perhaps Columbia's Upper West Side locale would have been a nice compromise for me.
    Neither school would be in my top 10...
    Really? I'm rather surprised to hear this. Out of curiosity, kwu, what would be in your top ten?
    Oh, I apologize. I meant "top five."
    Hm. I'm still curious. =) I can imagine four schools for which one could present an argument. (Chicago.) I'm curious to see what your fifth is.
  • AmericanskiAmericanski Posts: 683Registered User Member
    Most young people tend to prefer NYU's neighborhood (Greenwich Village) to Columbia's (Morningside Heights). NYU students generally argue that "If you're going to live in New York, you ought to live in New York, y'know?"

Which is always an amusing argument when it comes from one of the many NYU students who live in Brooklyn or cheaper parts of Manhattan.
    My fourth is UChicago, yes. My fifth is Georgetown. =)
    Huh. Well, I suppose that answers my question.
  • bdawabdawa Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    You need to be more specific. What subject are you majoring in??
  • asteelasteel Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Well if you are considering college rankings, Columbia is around 6th and an IVY and NYU is around 35th. Columbia seems like a no brainer. Plus you can still hang out in Greenwich Village (NYU), but the academics will be stronger at Columbia.
    He's talking about the law schools.