Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Explanation Letter

Capt. NickCapt. Nick Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited September 2005 in Law School
I suppose that everyone on here can see that I am in the midst of finalizing my applications and, of course, have a million questions. Here is number one million and 1:

During my sophomore year of undergrad, I was really having a hard time in a few classes. This was following a freshman year that was also not very good. One of my professors sent me to the Academic Services Department who tested me and low and behold found I was dyslexic. After graduating top of my HS class and scoring 34 on the ACT this was found. Through counseling and coaching I turned my grades upward and finished school on a much better note but the poor marks from early on are still there. When I applied for my Master's, the director of Academic Services wrote a letter explaining this situation that included the manner that he reached a conclusion about my situation and the work that we did to overcome it.

My question is this; I am sure that he is willing to do the same for my law school applications but how should I include this in the applications? Its not really a recommendation letter its just stating an explanation of my first year and a half in school. What do y'all think?
Post edited by Capt. Nick on

Replies to: Explanation Letter

• ariesathenaariesathena Posts: 4,997Registered User Senior Member
    Put it in an addendum. This is not a personal statement, a recommendation, or anything else - just an addendum.

Note that some schools will have a second essay about overcoming any hardships like that. I think Fordham does have that - so tweak your applications accordingly.