Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

ADHD, college, and a mess (Help really needed)

2»

Replies to: ADHD, college, and a mess (Help really needed)

• MaystarmomMaystarmom Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't think it's necessary to mention in essay.
    He has good scores and grades, and lots of kids are stronger in one or the other area. Once he's in, figure out if they are supportive of his accomodations, if any are needed.

From experience with my ADHD-combined type niece, your son is unlikely to become a better, more organized student in college. If anything, being on his own in school may lead to a drop in the areas tied to executive function.

My niece applied to schools that were a match (or lower than) for her GPA and took the merit money for her high SAT scores. Then it is a matter of not letting all the distractions at college--and there are so many--not distract her from keeping a high enough GPA to hold onto that merit scholarship. Good news is she has it for year two, and her parents can pay the difference if she loses it, but it will be much tougher financially for them.
  • darkangel3541darkangel3541 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Hi everyone, I'm sorry for such a late reply. I never got any notification of all the replies until I log into CC myself. I decided to write about something else for my CA essay; it's about anime movies and robotics club (i know, it sounds super cheesy). I also got my Sept ACT scores back-- I got a 29C! It's not that great but it's a big improvement from the first time I took it. I'll be retaking it one last time on 10/22 to see if I can get a 30+.

Other than that, things have been pretty okay. I've had a lot of downs going into the school year (and still do) but i think it's slowly getting better. I just can't wait to get through it to be honest haha.

Would any of you be able to help me in reading what I have for my CA essay so far? It would be a major help and I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for all the advice :)
  • GABaseballMomGABaseballMom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @darkangel3541, I just now saw your October post. How did it all go? Do you know where you're heading next year/ I hope all is well.

As for my son, he did not mention his ADHD in his essays or application. As @Maystarmom's niece did, we focused (mostly) on schools where his GPA was in line with the middle 50% and his SAT score in the top 25% and got a number of nice offers for merit aid. We also focused on small liberal arts colleges with small class sizes in the hopes that our son will not slip between the cracks if his executive function problems and the usual distractions of college get him into trouble. I figure if he is in classes of 12 to 15 students, his professors will know him by name and be more inclined to be proactive if he seems to be missing deadlines, etc.
2»