Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Help! My 16 y/o Aspie has given up!

Replies to: Help! My 16 y/o Aspie has given up!

• DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,020 Senior Member
    Also, I'm beginning to feel that they ARE neurotypical it's just that the world isn't set up for their type of neurotypical. In another place and time? No problems. Just a thought.
  • yankeeinGAyankeeinGA Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    Wonderful update, @HRSMom! My S graduates next month and still views every stint behind the wheel as absolute torture. :))
  • SNMoreSNMore Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    May I suggest: Get a college student to work with him on his homework. At this age, there is so much going on emotionally and socially, that lots of kids lose focus at 16. Having a college kid work with him will help him get his work done (find a kid he really likes) and get him out of his slump.
  • sdl0625sdl0625 Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    @HRSMom , he got his license!!! congrats! mine got his, but doesnt want to drive. I would only wish mine would go out and get a job interview. We face a summer in front of the computer, just as he did during spring break. He has a few friends but mostly plays games with them online, versus going to see them physically. He speaks his mind, so I have no hope of any job.

he wants to design computer games , and though he has the grades when he actually turns in work, and will get good test scores, no EC's and I am afraid of him surviving college in 2 years. We are considering staying local.

glad you are making progress!!!!
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,184 Senior Member
    Going to pick up his brother from college this weekend. Give me strength! I hope they don't fight all summer!!

And he got a summer job! ($10.75 an hour! When did this start????)
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,020 Senior Member
    edited April 26
    Mine left home. He's now 19 and decided to go do something else for awhile. We think he will maybe go to college around age 24. Lots of time. Lots and lots of time to work these things out. Lots of opportunity to let them grow and change.

He's supporting himself fully.
    Well that's great! That will help him figure out what he wants. I find we can't want it enough for them...
    So S is in a pretty good place now. He is a bit more engaged in school. The driving and his job seem to add structure he needed. Hopefully he will escape junior year at around an 89/88 average.

I've been doing all the college research bc he is adamant that he will not. His filmmaking/editing skills keep advancing. Hoping he keeps an interest as it is the only thing that seems to for now. We have an amazing school near us for this. He cups live on campus and it is a state school. He hates that last part. NY kids seem to hate the word SUNY. But it has an autism support program as well, So we'll see.

Hope everyone else is well!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,443 Senior Member
    ^Sounds like things are progressing in the best way possible!
    For now! He did well enough on SAT not to have to retake, so that is a relief!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,443 Senior Member
    Good SAT + 88-89 GPA = good chances at most SUNY 's and lots of private college choices in NYS and beyond!
    His score was 1330. Good enough.
  • mabissokmabissok Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Are there consequences at home? I take away privileges like phone, TV and car when they don't do their jobs. Their jobs defined as doing the best they can in school.