Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Schizophrenia and College?

annahannah Posts: 4Registered User New Member
Hi! I am currently a high school junior and since middle school I have struggled with DIAGNOSED schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I'm a cheerleader and straight A student... but things havent always been this way... I was just curious about the experiences people have had in applying for college/ getting into college/ adjusting to college who have such mental illnessess since I will be applying to college soon in would be nice to hear some advice and personal anecdotes from others with bipolar disorder/ schizophrenia since everything on CC seems to be about ADD/ ADHD! Thanks and I'm excited to hear from others like me (I hope you are out there!)
Post edited by annah on

Replies to: Schizophrenia and College?

• bessiebessie Posts: 1,818Registered User Senior Member
    Annah, please post this in the college life section as well since I think more people your age post there.
  • MamaDramaMamaDrama Posts: 245Registered User Junior Member
    Annah,

First of all, good job on being so resilient and starting to plan for the next stage of your life. My daughter is also diagnosed bipolar and has psychotic/paranoid features and will be heading to college in just a short couple of years.

Also, if you've never read the book, An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison, I would highly recommend it. Much of the book describes her childhood and college years initially UNTREATED and how she managed to get through a PHD program despite being bipolar.

I think one of the most important things will be recreating your support network that is obviously working so well for you right now in a college environment. Keeping a schedule/routine, where you will get your meds and counseling, and getting in contact with a strong Office of Disabilities services who will be able to work with you and your professors if you need breaks or support with classes.

College is like Vegas, there is something to do or someone up 24 hours a day and keeping a regular schedule and enough sleep is so important for someone who has a mood disorder. Also, as I'm sure you already know psychiatric meds and alcohol, DO NOT MIX and the temptation to experiment can be very strong on a college campus.

Since you are doing so well currently, I am guessing that you have become very good at reading yourself and your symptoms and will need to be your first line of defense at school.

Just an FYI, there are scholarship opportunities for people have mental illnesses as well so keep an eye out for those, too.

Good luck and good job on doing so well in HS!