Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Questions about dorms; what to bring etc.

mumof2boyzmumof2boyz Posts: 711Registered User Member
edited August 2012 in Lehigh University
Now that deposit time is near, please post any questions you may have about housing/packing. We will try to answer them for you!
Post edited by mumof2boyz on

Replies to: Questions about dorms; what to bring etc.

• mumof2boyzmumof2boyz Posts: 711Registered User Member
    Must brings:

Underbed storage containers
    Small Fridge
    Purex 3 in 1 sheets for laundry
    first aid kit, OTC meds
    Rug

Items my son could have done without:

Microfridge set up - waste of money
    2nd set of sheets - the kids wash 1 set and put them back on the bed
    Large hamper - takes up too much floor space
    Shower caddy - they each have their own shelf in the bathroom
  • phillipb22phillipb22 Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    The shelf thing isn't true for all for all dorms -- in M&M we don't have any shelves so everyone needs a shower caddy... I know in Upper Cents they have the shelves but I'm not sure what the other dorms have.
    Dravo had a shelf for each person. I guess it varies, thanks for clarifying!
  • CopamanCopaman Posts: 168Registered User Junior Member
    Lower has the shelves as well.

I ditched my under bed storage bins but that's just me. I also don't have a rug.
  • march10success2march10success2 Posts: 209Registered User Junior Member
    Do we need table or floor lamp?

I will bring a window fan, for air in and out.
    Fans are a must! My son brought one of those tower fans, it was not enough the first month or so - he said the kids who had the window fans that flow in and out were much more comfortable. Next year he is in a dorm with A/C - yeah!

He has a desk lamp and I have seen kids with floor lamps. Honestly there is not much studying going on in the dorms - too much going on - but it is always nice to have task lighting.
  • corj93corj93 Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    just found out i will be in dravo in the fall! @mumof2boyz: do you happen to know how many people share a bathroom in each wing?
  • flypilotflypilot Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    corj93 - How did you find out which freshmen dorm you are in?
  • lovely23lovely23 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    @mumof2boyz: I am also in dravo for the coming year and I was wondering about the closet situation. Do some rooms only have one closet and what is the layout inside it?
  • LehighAlumLehighAlum Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Hello lovely23. I'm a Lehigh grad who lived in Dravo freshman year. I had a roommate, and we lucked out with a decent-size room in the A wing. We each had a closet with a door (either side had floor space and a bar for hanging clothes, and then there were drawers in the middle). I was actually impressed with the amount of closet space we had. At the time, though, there was no air conditioning, and I doubt that they've installed it since then, although I don't know for sure. Invest in a great fan.

Each floor had a bathroom in the middle. There's also a room with a pool table and vending machines, a laundry room, and a room on the first floor that has a TV, kitchen, and a couple tables and chairs. Next to that there's a reading room. Overall, the building's very old, but I had the most fun living in Dravo.
    In Dravo each room has a closet. In the closet there are closet organizers. In my son's case, the middle contained 4 open shelved and6 drawers. One each side there were two three foot bars for hanging clothes and several wire shelves. There is also a shoe rack and hooks for towels etc on the back of the closet door. For two boys it was perfect! His girlfriend however, could not fit everything and had lots stored under her bed.

Go to the housing site and if you click on your dorm you can access a pretty detailed floor plan. It will also tell you the furniture that is in each room.
    You will find a ton of info on this page, check it out:

Lehigh University: Housing: Residence Halls: Dravo House

Regarding bathrooms, there are I think 10 rooms in each wing and one bathroom. Some are singles and some doubles, so I think around 4 people share. Check out the floor plan to make sure, but thats what I recall.
  • valeriewvaleriew Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    Myh daughter is in MM can anyone let me know what to bring for this dorm. Which is betteradesk or floor lamp
  • flypilotflypilot Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Where do I find out what dorm I'm in?
    Valarie, Look at the link I gave in my previous message, it tells you the furniture provided at each dorm and you can also view the floorplan which includes the size of each room.

Lighting is poor in the dorms, so I recommend both lamps. I sent my son with a desk lamp but am adding a floor lamp this year.