Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Co-Op at Lehigh

ooVuZeLaooVuZeLa Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2013 in Lehigh University
I have a serious question about the engineering co-op at Lehigh if anybody with experience could share their experience. Is the program good at Lehigh? How hard is it to find a place to work at and does the program make you stand out compared to schools like Northeastern and Drexel that specialize in coops.
Post edited by ooVuZeLa on

Replies to: Co-Op at Lehigh

• LehighChemELehighChemE Posts: 576Registered User Member
    Hi ooVuZeLa,

I'm a Lehigh co-op student who worked as a process engineer at a Philadelphia chemical plant. Lehigh's co-op is elite, and unlike Northeastern and Drexel, it is not open to everybody. To answer your question, it's pretty tough to get a co-op at Lehigh. Only about 200 engineers are invited to participate in interviewing for co-ops (3.0 minimum GPA is required), and ultimately only about 40-50 engineering students get co-ops each year.

Lehigh co-ops are well-respected - unlike some other co-op experiences I've heard of - it actually involves real impactful work. I actually worked with a Drexel co-op during my first rotation and I get the feeling that most Drexel co-ops don't do intensive projects (they seem more like internships). It's just my opinion, but I think the fact that Drexel has made the co-op a mandatory part of its academic experience actually detracts from it as a whole. I think it's better to get a co-op you have to really earn with a good GPA and then fight even harder to get hired in interviews.

Best,

- Mike
  • ooVuZeLaooVuZeLa Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    If you can maintain above a 3.0 GPA, do you automatically qualify for interviews? Or is there another selection process.
  • higuisehiguise Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    When I talked to an alum, he said that the top third was invited for interviews, although he graduated 8-9 years ago. So I'm assuming that, even if you have a 3.0, you are not guaranteed as you need to be in the top third of your class or top 200 students of your class, whatever it may be.
    If you were unable to get a coop, what other options would you have to get work experience?
    When I talked to an alum, he said that the top third was invited for interviews, although he graduated 8-9 years ago. So I'm assuming that, even if you have a 3.0, you are not guaranteed as you need to be in the top third of your class or top 200 students of your class, whatever it may be.

No, you just need a 3.0 cumulative GPA to be invited to participate in the co-op interview process. Students who are just below this requirement can appeal the co-op office on a case-by-case basis. It must be different than in the past.
    If you were unable to get a coop, what other options would you have to get work experience?

Internships and REUs are always available and many of them are quite good. But in my opinion, Lehigh's co-ops blow away any comparable work experience.

Best,

- Mike
    I really appreciate all your responses. Mike, how much are you being paid for your co-ops?
    I really appreciate all your responses. Mike, how much are you being paid for your co-ops?

I'd rather not disclose my personal finances like that. But I can tell you this - most co-ops get paid the same amount as entry-level engineers who have already graduated. I'd say on average the hourly rate is about $20-$35 per hour depending on the company.

Best,

- Mike