Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Becoming a MA resident...

wallstkid22wallstkid22 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited September 2007 in Massachusetts Colleges
Here's the deal. I plan on going to UMASS Boston after I graduate. Ive lived in MA my whole life until I moved to FL for high school. When I move back, am I considered a non-resident (id assume so)?
Tuition for residents is 4k a year and non residents is 10k a year, so, what does it take for me to become a MA resident again?
Just a MA license and right to vote?

And, if I pay the 10k first semester and become a resident in school, will my tuition for next semester go down?
Post edited by wallstkid22 on

Replies to: Becoming a MA resident...

• tokyorevelation9tokyorevelation9 Posts: 1,102Registered User Senior Member
    No. Most of the time, the rule is that you have to have lived at a permanent address in that state for at least one year up to the time of matriculation. So unless you want to defer your matriculation, you may have to pay out-of-state tuition until you have moved back for long enough.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 19,725Super Moderator Senior Member
    From the UMass Boston website:
    Please note that in order to qualify for consideration for the status of in-state resident, the student must be a US citizen or a permanent resident immigrant. Massachusetts employment and/or payment of Massachusetts taxes are not by themselves qualifications for Massachusetts residency.
    . . .
    A person shall be classified as a Massachusetts resident if he or she (or the parent of an unemancipated student) shall have resided in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for purposes other than attending an educational institution for twelve months immediately preceding the student’s entry or re-entry as a student. Physical presence for this entire twelve-month period need not be required as long as the conduct of the individual, taken in total, manifests an intention to make Massachusetts his or her permanent dwelling place.
    . . .
    b. The following shall be primary indicia of residency:

For unemancipated persons, the residency of parents, having custody, within Massachusetts;
    Certified copies of federal and state income tax returns;
    Permanent employment in a position not normally filled by a student;
    Reliance on Massachusetts sources for financial support;
    Former residency in Massachusetts and maintenance of significant connections there while absent.
    c. The following shall be secondary indicia of residency, to be considered of less weight than the indicia listed above in subsection b:

Continuous physical presence in Massachusetts during periods when not an enrolled student;
    Military home of record;
    All other material of whatever kind or source which may have a bearing on determining residency.

http://www.umb.edu/admissions/ugrad_catalog/residency.html