Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

"You are on this list because you are admitted to MIT! (/^▽^)/" at the end of an email

jzzzzzjzzzzz Posts: 2Registered User New Member
At the end of an email titled "Reminder: Financial Aid Documents Due February 15th!" that I just received from MIT, it says this in fine print:
> Copyright (C) 2014 MIT Admissions All rights reserved.
> You are on this list because you are admitted to MIT! (/^▽^)/

This is a joke, right? I assume everyone got it?

Replies to: "You are on this list because you are admitted to MIT! (/^▽^)/" at the end of an email

• actman21actman21 Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    I got it to. But I'm not sure what it means. We could always hope right!! Go to the bottom of the email and click why did I get this? And it takes you to a page titled EY 14 Admits so idk. Pm me if u find out anything
  • jshore1296jshore1296 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Also have this, but I was deferred early, and it also says "RA Applicants" in the header so. Yeah.
    Well yeah, but it seems prety cruel. I mean I know it's MITs style to joke around but it seems kinda cruel to say that and get our hopes up. I think we should still confirm
    Anyone apply rd and get the email without the "You are on the list..." Or anyone apply rd and not get the email?
  • ddeisadzddeisadz Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    I received the same email. I wish this was true. Perhaps it is true.
  • Euge9522Euge9522 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    i received it too, it's probably a joke i think
  • Moominmama58Moominmama58 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    It's on the emails of EA accepted students too - my son just got it. Maybe that copyright line got included by mistake?
  • awcntdbawcntdb Posts: 574Registered User Member
    Probably as simple as the "accepted student" FA reminder form letter went to everyone by error.
  • rainoutrainout Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    So can we put this to rest? Did anyone out there NOT receive this email?
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,154Super Moderator Senior Member
    Decisions for RD applicants have not been made yet -- no RD applicant has been selected or denied.

I don't think it's a joke, because I don't believe the admissions office would joke about something so fraught. I'm sure it was a (really unfortunate) mistake.
  • jshore1296jshore1296 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Hey, mistakes happen, and the fact that you're accepting responsibility and responding like you are says a lot to me. No hard feelings here.
  • AmaranthineDAmaranthineD Posts: 733Registered User Member
    edited February 5
    I'll forgive you if you accept me! :D
    Post edited by AmaranthineD on
  • MITChrisMITChris Posts: 1,471College Rep Senior Member
  • jabbawockiejabbawockie Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Shouldn't the emoticon at the end of the email be (/^口口)/ instead of (/^▽^)/ ? My emoticon is different from what you posted.