Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

MIT Essays

SwetkoSwetko Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
Let's talk here about the 5 essays (1 required and 4 optional in part2)
Let everybody tells which essays did he write, or plan to write (if regular action) and what were or will be his/her essays.
And also other questions concerning the essays.

I am a international (Bulagria) RA applicant:

main essay: I wrote B, and I wrote about the impact
my family, school and extracirrucular activity have had on me.
how they have shaped me into the person i am now and what i have learned,
how they have motivated and shaped my dreams and aspiration.
I think it's well written.

first optional (100 words) about the thing for pleasure : I plan to write something about that i like reading books.
second optional (100 words) I am interestred in EECS as i am programming
and like computers, and such things

third (about sth i have created). I wrote about a clay sculpture i have created. Everybody says it is excellent and full of passion and i think they are right.

fourth : Not sure yet, bu i plan to explain that i love challenges and taking risks, and such things.

My main essay is pretty good now but it is 588 words. I wonder if that's ok
ot i shall try to reduce it. I do not think it's boring, so no one would probably notice that it is excessively long.
Post edited by Swetko on

Replies to: MIT Essays

• platypeanArchcowplatypeanArchcow Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    The 100-word essays are not optional. I will refrain from posting my essays out of overcarefulness until I know that I have been admitted or rejected.
  • SwetkoSwetko Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    I don't want somebody to post his/her essay
    just tells us which essays did you write and with a single sentence what did you write about
  • 2left4dubya2left4dubya Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    My essay was 750+ words, and I got accepted. Don't fret on 590.
  • innsayneidiotinnsayneidiot Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    essay A: struggling with a physics E/M class and how i overcame my fear of circuits. it was semi-humorous (or so i hope)
    short answer 1: French literature
    short answer 2: chemical engineering

didn't do either of the optional essays. and my main essay was 481, which is a little on the short side... bleh.
  • SwetkoSwetko Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    yes, just "overcoming fear of circuits" sounds humorous
    i think it is a good thing to write about
  • ipsen1985ipsen1985 Posts: 179Registered User Junior Member
    Has any RD applicant submitted Part 2 yet?

These are stats of my essays:

1. Long essay:
    Total length: 543 words (cut down from 800-word long essay)
    Type: B
    Topic: internal world
    Number of paragraphs: 5
    Events: main impacts that initiate my current aspirations
    Structure: chronological

2. Short essays:
    a. Why MIT, Physics and so on
    b. Brief mention on my current hobbies/habits

3. Optional essays:
    a. A description of an idea I created on my own
    b. List of supplemental materials :D
  • JLPJLP Posts: 510Registered User Member
    I wrote approximately 750 words as well.
  • doublespressodoublespresso Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    Long: Essay A. How the freshman bencher on the varsity volleyball team managed to become a senior captain and key player--even though, at 5'4", i'm TINY for a volleyball player.

Short:
    A. interest-skiing
    B. major ideas-something bioengineering or neurosciency

I didn't do #13 (the completely optional device you've created), but I sent a copy of my summer internship research paper for #14. 20 pages... i wonder if they really read it all the way?
  • doublespressodoublespresso Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    hope that helps =)
  • LauraNLauraN Posts: 882Registered User Member
    Haha I strictly adhered to the 500-word limit...I worried that it made parts of the essay sound kind of awkward but it worked out for the best in the end.

I did Essay A and wrote about an tremendously sucky day I had when my field hockey coaches decided to humiliate me on the field...but then I showed them who's boss. =P Haha I guess it was a little risky because it involved a theme of adult figures in my life being mean to me, so I guess it could have come off as "whiny" or what have you, but I think it was very well written.

I wrote about how I enjoy reading in my spare time (including novels in Spanish) and how I like engineering because it involves thinking outside the box and gives you a feeling of acomplishment when you know your design has done some good.

For the optional essay I wrote about a user interface I made for my school's FIRST robot...it was a very simple project but I thought it was way over my head when I started so I was quite proud of the accomplishment. =D