Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

RSI or MITES = MIT?

MIT2010MIT2010 Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
i just want to know did anybody get into RSI and/or MITE in his/her junior year but was rejected by MIT in the college application?
Post edited by MIT2010 on

Replies to: RSI or MITES = MIT?

• kcastellekcastelle Posts: 418Registered User Member
    Yup, I've heard of several cases in which that happened, but I don't know the specifics or whether the people rejected performed poorly in the programs. Also I remember hearing that internationals had a harder time, unsurprisingly. From a post roughly 2 years ago:
    Matt Mcgann on MITadcom told me that only 75% of the RSI participants who applied got in. As much as we would liek to think that MIT is our safety school, none of us can say it for sure.
    By the way, if you're interested, the thread was long and largely pointless but here's the link: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?8/85543
  • mangopeachiemangopeachie Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    The reason those programs (including WTP, by the way) have such a high acceptance rate is because the people in those programs are already wicked qualified. Consider it like a prescreening process.

30 out of 37 people who applied from WTP got in... But we're not sure why those 7 got rejected/waitlisted... They were as good as all of us.
  • aznlegnaaznlegna Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    as a MITES alum, I was told that about 80-100% of the class would be offered admissions to MIT. Really, once you're in MITES, RSI, WTP, you have a higher PROBABILITY but nothing is guaranteed.
  • LatindudeLatindude Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    Definately. In MITES '05, several of us were denied admission. At least two others I know of (including myself) were placed on the waiting list. All I can say for those of you who may be in future MITES- work even harder. Network.
  • randompersonrandomperson Posts: 598Registered User Member
    Quite a few international participants at RSI were rejected at MIT. I don't know, however, of any domestic rickoids who were rejected this year.
  • cooljoecooljoe Posts: 770Registered User Member
    What's WTP?
  • mangopeachiemangopeachie Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    WTP = Women's Technology Program
  • cooljoecooljoe Posts: 770Registered User Member
    oh, I guess I'm not gonna do that, lol.