Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Computer Science Skills For MIT

libertyzain2007libertyzain2007 Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
Hi,

I am thinking about applying to MIT and was wondering about the typical skill level of prospective computer science students?

Just a bit about my experience:

Independently Written Web Applications - (Components Include: Messaging system, Events System, Login/Logout[session control], personalized homepage)
- used JSP, Servlets, Beans Using the MVC architecture
Numerous Websites created:
www.hpsoft.us (also part of the startup of this company)
www.liberty.k12.mo.us/hs ( lead creation of this site)
www.liberty.k12.mo.us/hs/libertyrobotics (designed this site alone)
Programming:
Robotics Team Programmer/Webmaster

Lanuages I know:
Basic, JSP (JSTL), Java, PHP, Javascript, HTML, XML, Actionscript, C, C#. CSS

Worked:

Cerner corporation (Leading Health software provider in the world)
Worked with making Components Framework Independent
Configured JBOSS Application Server to work with Independent wars
Created components using Java Server Faces Architecture

is this good enough --- applying this year for class of 2011
Post edited by libertyzain2007 on

Replies to: Computer Science Skills For MIT

• jimbob1225jimbob1225 Posts: 3,457Registered User Senior Member
    you don't NEED any skills. the people who go in there with massive experience just skip the intro classes. remember, people come to MIT from all over, and there's likely to be many people interested in comp sci who didnt have opportunities like you clearly did...
    don't worry you have sufficient "experience" and skills.
  • somethingnewsomethingnew Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    heh i got in with pretty much NO programming experience...go figure.
  • mootmommootmom Posts: 4,162Registered User Senior Member
    I'm told that if you're proficient in Scheme before you arrive, 6.001 will be much easier.

(Remember that "computer science" does not equal "programming" or "web design".)
  • studentforeverstudentforever Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Are you asking if this will get you accepted? Who can really say...Are you asking if you will be prepared for computer science at MIT? Yes, it just depends on what classes you would like to take. Keep in mind, not everyone who applies to MIT is a computer wizard...each person has his/her own interests.
  • libertyzain2007libertyzain2007 Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    I understand that computer science isn't exclusively web design and programming. I understand data structures, control statements and computer hardware. I was just posting this to see if I would be well prepared for the curriculum MIT offers. Furthermore, I did all this through self-teaching. I hunted down internships and took initiative to get those opportunities. It wasn't handed to me on a silver platter.

My second motive for posting this was to ask if this would give me a competitive edge against some of the other applicants because I am so passionate about Computer Science, but I am also Athletic, and have been successful at numerous other activities (Debate etc.) I was hoping my virtuosity would help with admission...

sorry about the ambiguity of my intent, I hope that this helps with what I was looking for. Thanks for all your replies could I have more in context to this post.

thanks
  • mootmommootmom Posts: 4,162Registered User Senior Member
    Each applicant is evaluated individually, as you've probably heard by now. If you've done well in challenging classes at school and in your standardized tests, and if your passion has been in web design and programming, show that in your application, along with the other activities you've been seriously involved in. You won't be lined up with others doing the same kinds of things and compared one-to-one, you'll be evaluated based on what you did with what you had available.

Although you've probably already gone through this, you can see the course requirements for Course VI here, and the course schedule for this year here. You can get an idea by looking through the webpages for some of the courses what the curriculum is like.
  • LauraNLauraN Posts: 882Registered User Member
    So MIT is a school, which means they *teach* you that stuff.

Of course that kind of thing will look good on your application, because it shows your passion for both learning and computers. But in terms of being "prepared" for the CS cirriculum here, of course having previous experience will make it easier to get started. But in the end, it doesn't really matter.
  • DeafeningHornDeafeningHorn Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Woah, most hostile post I've read today (first day). I really have no new informtion to give, other than to repeat that no experience is needed, but showing initiative (I hear) is one of the factors they highly.
  • frankchnfrankchn Posts: 1,266Registered User Senior Member
    Well, it looks like you have a lot of application programming experience. Others coming into MIT may not have that experience in application programming. Still others may have gotten Gold at IOI (International Olympiad in Informatics).

You would all be on an equal footing as you would be learning Scheme (a variant of Lisp) anyway.
  • kevtricekevtrice Posts: 282Registered User Junior Member
    That's some very good experience for someone in high school. I do not think most people have near that much experience.
  • texas137texas137 Posts: 2,143Registered User Senior Member
    Still others may have gotten Gold at IOI (International Olympiad in Informatics).
    for anyone who is interested in competing in the olympiad, there are free training materials online, and a series of internet contests during the school year to select the US students who go to the training camp to prepare for possible int'l competitions. www.usaco.org
  • _Daniel__Daniel_ Posts: 192Registered User Junior Member
    for anyone who is interested in competing in the olympiad, there are free training materials online, and a series of internet contests during the school year to select the US students who go to the training camp to prepare for possible int'l competitions. www.usaco.org

Yeah, it's a great thing to do. I wish I had known about it earlier, I could have put my programming to good use.