Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

MIT is major blind?

HPM_twista89HPM_twista89 Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
Does that mean that whatever we put on the application, as a planned major, does not matter? So choosing management will not necessarily help my standing, will it? I mean, most applicants apply for engineering or science to MIT and so won't it make them have to choose some of the applicants as a management major? I'm confused.
Post edited by HPM_twista89 on

Replies to: MIT is major blind?

• molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,272Super Moderator Senior Member
    You're right, MIT is major-blind when it comes to admissions.

Matt and Ben have said before that a lot of students who write down X end up majoring in Y, so it would be kind of silly and pointless to try and select people based on their intended major.

At any rate, there's no shortage of management majors, and MIT students are free to major in anything they want, even if it means that all 1000 students in a given class major in EECS (which they won't).
  • OloOlo Posts: 1,023Registered User Senior Member
    Matt said somewhere way back that about ~50% of MIT students major in something other than what they put down in that box. Even if they did have to fill "major quotas" (they don't), that wouldn't be a very reliable way to do it. ;)
  • jessiehljessiehl Posts: 3,328Registered User Senior Member
    Are you confused because of the different "schools" - the School of Engineering, the School of Management, etc? I can see where that would be confusing, but unlike at, say, NYU, at MIT you don't apply to, and you're not admitted to, a specific school, you apply to and are admitted to MIT. So you're not being admitted as anything other than "an MIT undergraduate."