Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AMC scores on the MIT app

ougnalaougnala Posts: 367Registered User Member
there's a spot for the AMC scores on the MIT application. Is it worth it to even bother if my AMC 12 is below 100? Or is 96 somewhat an honorable mention because it's still well above the average score and it almost qualifies for AIME.

Dam test won't allow calculators no more... Dam
Post edited by ougnala on

Replies to: AMC scores on the MIT app

• ougnalaougnala Posts: 367Registered User Member
    buuuuuuump
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,154Super Moderator Senior Member
    Yes, I would write it regardless. Not everybody has the chance to take these tests, so they're a bonus on your application showing interest in math.
  • lilyrobinlilyrobin Posts: 489Registered User Member
    Shoot, I left it blank, because I never actually got my score-our school just lets the people who scored really really high know their scores. But 6 other kids from my school are applying, so if they somehow got theirs and put them would it hurt me?
  • wildchartermagewildchartermage Posts: 1,003Registered User Member
    hey, I never took AMC test, because my high schools in NJ and CT don't offer them. But, this year, I"m starting a math club because I've always wanted to start one, and if I take AMC 12 test this feb, is it ok to send it to MIT and other schools if I get deferred EA?
  • ougnalaougnala Posts: 367Registered User Member
    bummmmmmmp
  • Walton12Walton12 Posts: 435Registered User Member
    Yeah, I tookt he AMC, but it was below 100, around 95. I did not mention it on my app.
    Should I send the scores in though?
  • collegealum314collegealum314 Posts: 6,230Registered User Senior Member
    ^^a 95 on the AMC is more impressive than an 800 on the math SAT. I would send it in.
    but for MIT?
  • meadow36meadow36 Posts: 5,620Registered User Senior Member
    ^it shows interest in Math like molliebatmit said, and its a decent score. Not fabulous, but decent.
  • rainynightstarzrainynightstarz Posts: 916Registered User Member
    @wildchartermage

By the time you get your score for the A version, it will be early march or so. Most people end up doing a lot better on their second try and that is often around or after MIT decision comes out. either way, if you haven't taken it yet, it won't really help you in terms of getting into MIT.
    I mean, what's the downside to sending these scores? They show that you're at least interested enough in math to take a test, and maybe that you did well, particularly if this isn't something you do regularly.

I am open to other opinions, but I don't think there are many (if any) circumstances where reporting a low AMC score would actually be detrimental to an application.
    Although it does show that you are taking the initiative to take a math test, a 95 in the pool of many 120+'s may hurt you. IMO
  • lilyrobinlilyrobin Posts: 489Registered User Member
    rainynightstarz-woah, what? You can take it twice? I wish my school did that...
    But it's really a 95 in a pool of many who didn't report scores. The majority of applicants do not take these tests.
    So a 95 will not show that your math is too weak for MIT?