Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

general elective credit??

lwackerlwacker Posts: 15Registered User New Member
I'm just wondering what this mysterious thing called "general elective credit" is, what it does for you (if anything) and basically if you need it to graduate.

thanks!!
Post edited by lwacker on

Replies to: general elective credit??

• molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,304Super Moderator Senior Member
    You do need general elective credit to graduate, in a sense.

Most classes at MIT are worth 12 units. You need to accumulate 180 units outside the GIRs in order to get a degree from MIT. This is the number of units you would accumulate if you took all seventeen GIRs at MIT, and took four 12-unit classes for eight semesters.

So coming in with general elective credit means you don't have to take four classes per semester in order to graduate -- you have a cushion, in case you have a semester or two where you need to drop a class or something.
  • 123123 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    You're probably interested in this because of AP exams. A lot of AP exams will get you 9 units of general elective credit for scores of 5.

I came in with 45 units of general elective credit. Mollie is correct that all it really does for you is provide a cushion, which you probably won't need. I didn't end up needing my 45-unit cushion, so it gave me nothing except the satisfaction of having a lot of units at graduation.