Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Scholastic/Nonscholastic

HiPeopleHiPeople Posts: 778Registered User Member
On the MIT app, they seperate the awards into these two categories.

Can someone please define what exactly is the difference?

For example, if I win something related to a club acitivity (like Science Olympiad), but it also encompasses academics (Science Olympiad-chem, physics,...), is that scholastic or nonscholastic?

Sorry if this is an easy question, but I just want to be sure that I don't accidently mess up the categories.
Post edited by HiPeople on

Replies to: Scholastic/Nonscholastic

• kemcabkemcab Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    No offense, but isn't this just splitting hairs? I would assume 'scholastic' means everything school/club related whereas nonscholastic doesn't. Either way both should show passion and interest for something.
  • CalAlumCalAlum Posts: 1,367Registered User Senior Member
    Below is how my institution differentiates the two:

The word "scholastic" means "of or related to school." So if your school has a Model United Nations Club and your participation in that club explains your award in an "international mun simulation," it would be a scholastic award. If you won an award as editor of your school's magazine, that is a scholastic award. However, if you created a poetry blog or online literary magazine on your own and that effort netted some sort of recognition, it would constitute a nonscholastic award. If you've won local or regional awards through your school's athletics program, those are scholastic awards; if you've won awards by participating in a private sports club, those are nonscholastic awards. The Gold Star Award in Girl Scouts is a nonscholastic award, as is the Eagle Scout Award in Boy Scouts.

MIT didn't used to discriminate between scholastic and nonscholastic awards on the application. Hope this doesn't cause a lot of confusion.

Hmmmm....but since there probably will be confusion, perhaps Mollie could get some definitive statement from admissions to post up in the questions thread above. :-)
  • HiPeopleHiPeople Posts: 778Registered User Member
    ^ok thanks.

Im glad I asked because I thought that awards like sports awards for school teams (like all-state selection or something) and schools newspapers were nonscholastic, because although they are school related, they arent related to academics.

I also thought that research awards would be scholastic, but according to your definition, I guess that would actually be nonscholastic.

I wish they didnt split it up because that means now I have like an unequal proportion of the two awards, meaning Ill probably have to use the additional space section for scholastic awards and pretty much leave the nonscholastic section blank.

kemcab: yea you are right...I doubt they are going to reject someone if they put a nonscholastic award in the scholastic section, but I just wanted to be sure and not make some mistake because MIT's app is the first one that I have seen that splits up these two.
  • DexDex Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
    Scholastic/Nonscholastic;
    For me it means the "part I always left blank"/"my awards" :)